Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield/Huntington 12/6/07
Got to Scofield at 7:30. Perfect weather, about 30 degrees and mostly cloudy. Started fishing on the south side of the dam arm almost where it meets the main lake. First drop in 18ft. of water (pretty much the deepest spot) produced a 15 inch rainbow on a white marabou jig tipped with a shiner. I did not mark very many fish, but moved around and caught four more about the same size over the next 2 or 3 hours. About 10:30 I headed for Huntington. There were about 20 or so people fishing Scofield on the south end of the lake by the cabins. I could see fish on the ice by most people. They were all fishing around 50 yards from shore. Almost forgot, about 4 inches of good clear ice with 2 inches of cloudy ice on top. No slush.

Got to Huntington and it was a mess. There was about 8 inches of ice covered with 4 inches of crusty slush. I drilled a bunch of holes and never did catch a fish. It's going to be a real mess with the new snow.

I drove by Yuba on the way home. The dam side of the lake is still wide open. It looked like there might be ice down by the narrows and painted rocks. The lake is still very low.
[signature]
Thats a good report 2FO, thanks for posting it and taking the time to check out all three lakes. I think if Yuba freezes, there will be a lot of folks that head down there this winter. WH2
[signature]

It was good to meet you on Friday at Scofield. I stayed until about 12:30. That was about the time the storm started blowing in. I ended up with 7, all rainbows. It took at least twice that many holes to catch those. I did find my best success in 17 to 18 feet of water with most of the fish in the 9 to 12 foot range. I had my best luck on a crawdad colored foxy jig tipped with a meal worm.
[signature]