Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard bay ice
I drove past willard today and it was capped all the way across. How long do any of you think I need to wait before heading out on it?
[signature]
I can't say for sure, but usually, when the entire lake is froze over, at least some of it is fishable. Also, part of it depends on how you define "safe" ice. In reality, 3" of good ice is plenty. Drill a hole off the boat dock and see how thick the ice is.

If you are anxious to fish and the whole lake is I capped I say its worth the trip.
[signature]
I'd be real careful fishing Willard this early in the season. You might be OK fishing the North channel by the boat launch but the boat docks are in water that can't be more than a few feet deep. I sure would not try and go far from shore on the main lake with out a buddy close by with a rope. I would think it would be a few more weeks and maybe a month if it warms up any. WH2
[signature]
[cool]I stopped by Willard on my way back from the super slow fishing at Mantua today (12/15) and Willard was capped for a bout a mile out, but there was definitely dark blue past that white ice. Drilled a hole in the North Marina off the farthest boat slip on the dock and found two feet deep of water and a muddy bottom to greet my auger. That sucked. Was hoping to get some crappies if it was 4 or 5 feet. Not happenin'.

On another note, I had a mish comp named Nathan Hall and he loved "timber"wolves and he was from Bountiful at the time if I remember right (been 13 years now). Would that be you? What a hoot if that is you. Anyway, even if that's not you, good fishin' to ya, and welcome to BFT.
[signature]
Did you by chance try and drill a hole near the ramp to check the ice in the channel?
[signature]
[cool]Unfortunitely, no I didn't. Thought about that afterword. Bet there's fish right there, because it's a bit deeper there. Ice might be thinner there though. Wouldn't test it unless I had a life ring around me and a buddy on shore with the other end of the rope.
[signature]
come on Geoff its only 3ft deep
[signature]
[cool]Cut me some slack here, Jason. Just trying to remember what I read here in the early fall. Didn't get to fish it this year...
[signature]
It's all good Geoff. Just messin with ya
[signature]