Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any ice at lincon?
was just wodering if anyone has been down latley? spings should be full of crappies and white bass by now.
[signature]
no you stay way from there!! [mad] inless you invite me along [sly]..

i dont know if there is ice but i sure want to go after some eye's out there this year.
[signature]
I need someone to show me how to catch ANY fish out of UL while ice fishing. Have tried the provo harbor three times over the past 2 years and not one bite. Please let me tag along!!
[signature]
A few years ago, I did great ice fishing right in the harbor at Lincoln Beach, just off of the boat ramp. The ice was only about 1 1/2 inches thick and after awhile would start getting a major bend in it. I wasn't too worried because the water was only about 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep at the most. Sure was strange catching white bass and an occasional small walleye in water that shallow while ice fishing.
[signature]
lol. the harbor is probley ready. ya kent its weird setting the hook and having the fish fly right out of the hole. i bet the crappies are on it right now in that hot spring. you didnt do mutch on ut lake this yr fuzzy. what was up. slimmer craving? lol . oya i was just looking at utlakeveiw watching a guy fishing the ice. 2 differnt people today have fished it. both left in 1 hr or so. but it looks to be getting ther guys.
[signature]
I am by no means any kind of expert on ice fishing, but I have had my decent share of success at it at Utah Lake. I don't particularly enjoy ice fishing, and I don't even have any ice auger...but during the winter months I get so crazy that I just can't handle NOT doing SOME kind of fishing, so I'll cave and go do some ice fishing at Utah Lake and just fish out of the holes that have already been drilled. I have had a decent amount of success for pretty much every species in UL. Back when I was about 16, and had never ice fished before, I just wanted to go practice my flipping/pitching so my skills would still be in good shape for springs. I took my 7ft hvy action flippin' stick with a 3/8oz jig-n-pig tied to it and went down to the Provo boat harbor. I would stand at various distances from the previously drilled holes, and practice pitching my jig into the holes. There was one hole drilled right at the corner of a dock, and after I pitched my jig in there, I bounced it a couple of times and felt a *thunk!* Instinctively set the hook and pulled a 3.5lb largemouth through the ice. That's the only largemouth I've actually pulled through the ice, and I don't think I'll ever replicate that pattern again. haha.

As far as White Bass go, my best success has come from using tiny bright pink curly tail grubs on a small jig head. Let the fish tell you how they want it. I found it was always different from day to do. Some days I would impart a lot of action, some days I would just let it sit there...some days they were right on the bottom, some days they were right underneath the ice. Also, it always helped to cut up the first white bass that I caught and tip the jig with a little white bass meat. My 2nd choice after the pink grub, is to use a small jigging spoon.

Crappie through the ice, I would use the same presentations as for White Bass, but I always found that they would hang out closer to the docks/submerged brush you may come across. Ditto on the perch...

Walleyes, I have had limited success with when it comes to size. I once tried nose hooking a whole night crawler onto a jighead and bouncing it around various holes in the Provo harbor. I am no walleye expert, but I had just seen guys do that on fishing shows fishing for walleyes before, so I tried it. I hooked a decent 17" Walleye in Provo doing that, but have yet to be able to do it since. I have caught several small Walleyes through the ice in various harbors though using a chartreuse curly tail grub as opposed to the pink...but nothing over 12".

Bluegill/Sunfish...this is more about location than anything. You just have to find the areas that have warmer water underneath the ice...and I know if I say any specific locations I will get a few PMs from people chewing me out for giving up these areas...haha...oh yeah, and when you find 'em, just tip whatever you're using with a mealworm or bit of nightcrawler.

I have even caught carp through the ice at UL...but only by accident when I snag one while jigging a spoon...

The only species of fish I haven't caught through the ice at UL is catfish...I have no advice for that...haha
[signature]
Great advice - I appreciate it! I'll have to try UL during the break I think. If you have any locations that you are dying to tell me, feel free to PM me. Thanks.
[signature]
provo boat harbor. lol ther is a guy on utlakeveiw right now. with 5 on the dock.lol
[signature]
"i was just looking at utlakeveiw watching a guy fishing the ice. 2 differnt people today have fished it. both left in 1 hr or so."

You must have had a slow day at work. I was one of those guys that kept you entertained today. I fished it for about an hour before work. Kastmaster was the guy that was there a little later. I had a good bluegill bite early on, then some white bass came in up to the time I left. Wish I could have stayed and worked them a little more. FWIW, even though the trips are short "lunch break specials" for an hour or so, we have been having a decent bite for the last 3 weeks there for bluegills, crappie, WB, and an occasional perch.
[signature]
I drove by lincon beach last Friday afternoon. There was 1" of ice inbetween the dikes and a little ice just south of the south dike out to about half way up the dike. All the rest was open and windy with big waves, you could tell it had some ice before the wind but not much. I then drove all the way around west mountain back to Genola. The intire exreme south end of the lake was completly frozen starting from the farm buildings on the west side of the road. I fished for about 20 minutes in one of the bigger pump canals that I do pretty good in during the summer for white bass and catfish but didn't get a bite. The ice in there was 5 inches, but I never ventured out into the main lake.
[signature]
I ran into an old timer at wasatch propane the other day who I noticed was heading out ice fishing. When I ask him where, he said down by lincoln beach where he fishes regularly. Having never ice fished UTL I ask how it was and if he was catching white bass or what. He then whipped out several pics og channel cats on the ice and proclaimed this is what I go after!. He had pics of cats on the ice up to 30" and near 10lbs. I was amazed! I had never heard of a cat coming through the ice. He would'nt give exact location, or what his "secret bait " was. but he had proof. Anyone else ever caught kitties through the ice?
[signature]