Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghost Shrimp Pump

Hey guys,

Here's another toy I got recently. It's called a pump but actually it sucks the critters along the beach out of the sand, ready to be offered our fishy friends. Here in Southern California we have ghost shrimp on many of our beaches and these guys are primo bait for any fish that swims, especially the surf perch, corbina and others.

Mine really works well and fishing success is greatly increased. Looks like a fat bicycle pump with no hose. Operation is simple. While pushing the tube in a likely spot you pull the handle so the suction effect will kick in. Yank the tube out of the sand push the handle back in and grab your ghost shrimp, shell fish, blood worm, or crab.

I ain't leavin' home without it from now on!

JapanRon
[signature]
DID YOU MAKE WHERE CAN I PICK ONE UP AT AND HOW MUCH BY THE WAY WHERE IS A GOOD SPOT HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE COLORADO LAGOON
[signature]

Hi there halibutralph,

See your posts sometimes. Always good reports, thanks. This pump is called a Spiro Bait pump and is made in America by VIVTEK. Mine is black in color and is the deluxe model. I was given this pump by the distributor who wishes to remain in the background. There are a number of these type of pumps out there but some are very expensive. The tube of mine is pvc but some makers use stainless steel tubes. A bait and tackle shop near the beach ought to have one model or another. I don't know who sells mine retail. Sorry.

I made my own but it didn't work out so well. Using a tennis ball for the plunger was a stroke of genius but the tube is too heavy.

JapanRon
[signature]
I'VE SEEN THEM AT FISHERMANS HARDWARE AND AT TURNERS I GUESS IM GOING TO BE PICKING ONE UP FROM ONE OF THOSE SPOTS THANK FOR THE INFO YOU SURE ARE LUCKY TO GET YOUR FOR FREE [cool] HAVE YOU HEARD ANYONE CATCHING SURF PERCH FROM ANY PIERS TOWARDS THE THE LONG BEACH AREA OR BIG FLATTIES
[signature]

Hey there halibutralph,

Going later today for the coupla hours before high tide but haven't heard a lot was going on but you never know. If you have a choice and the price difference is not too much, I'd look at the stainless tubed ones too, although mine works just great. Good to get info on different stuff.

Ya, I got it gratis but I always reciprocate one way or another so I did and will further volunteer to help out in some activities for my benefactor. See ya on the beach.

JapanRon
[signature]
I havent been there for awhile, but about a month ago, i was getting surf perch at the seal beach peir. I was using stripped squid. cut it yourself. dont use the stuff in the plastic containers that are being soaked in garlic and stuff.
Gut the squid by laying flat and cut from the top of the squid all the way to the head. then open it up. take your knife and scrape out the guts, and then cut it into little strips about 3 or 4 inches long about half an inch wide.

I just thought i'd explain how just in case.

Joe
[signature]
no what you want is the mussle from the wall below the pier, thats what their main diet is.

HALIBUT RALPH BUY A FLOAT TUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there Halibutralph,

Did you get your pump? If so, how's it working. I was complaining about the one I made and realized I wan't using it right for what it was!

With my 'store-bought' one I could put it in the sand pretty good in one long draw of the handle. The laughs on me. Just goes to show that if you think you know something and don't watch others, well...... Turns out the homemade one is fine! Why you say? I didn't realize that the proper i.e. most effective way to get the shrimp (down deep) is to do two or three really quick cycles which gets you down deeper period and..... faster.

Happy with both tubes now!

JapanRon
[signature]