Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serf Perch
[Wink][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]DO serf perch eat like some little bass grubs like 3'' or 2 1/2''? i have a ultra lite set up i want to take with me and i want to throw some really little plastics. maybe some one can help me. ok thanks laters see ya on the flip side![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]-chris[/size][/font]
[signature]
YES THEY DO LITTLE GRUBS YOU CAN ALSO TRY LUG WORMS THEY WORK LIKE MAGIC [cool]
[signature]
[cool]A lot of the most successful surf perch addicts throw nothing but light tackle and small plastics. The 1 1/2 inch or 2 inch sizes will get the most hits, but you catch some bigger ones on the larger baits...and some shallow halibut too.

Some of the favorite colors are greens and browns. I have done well with the motor oil with red flakes. I also like smoke sparkle, with a glitter head. Plain whites, yellows, oranges, hot pinks and chartreuse will all work at times too. Basic black can be a good color, and a combo with black and chartreuse or black and white.

If you use the swimming plastics, like the Hammers, use colors that imitate small 'chovies or smelts. It's surprising how big of plastics a slab perch will hit in the surf.

You can fish the plastics on jig heads, or you can rig them "split shot", "Carolina" or "drop shot" style...adding weight on the line and pinning the plastic to an unweighted hook...just like fishing bait. There is a lot of technique involved, depending on the depth the fish are cruising, the action of the waves and current. If you don't have to cast far, don't. Many surf casters throw way over the most active fish. Light tackle and a quiet approach will put you into some decent fish in water less than knee deep.

Also, think small spinners. There are a lot of light spinners that work very well in the surf zone.
[signature]
[Wink][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]ok thanks ill look for some of them grubs and stuff. thanks you guys! see ya on the flip side![/size][/font]

[signature]

Hey there dh TubinChris,

One other point you'll need to hammer into your head. Many times you don't need to cast over the moon A lot of perch are usually very close to shore. I've caught them 1 inch from the water line but of course there was a 6 inch dropoff that they were in. They like shallow troughs too. If you look real carefully you can see them in the curl of a wave that might break 5 feet from shore! 10 to 20 yards ought to be ok according to the wave action, tide, and structure. Fish close in! I use a 9 1/2 ft fly rod converted to a spinning rod, 2lb fluorocarbon, 1/16oz sliding egg sinker, circle hook and 1 inch powerbait crawdads or 1 1/2 inch grubs to catch YFC, walleye perch, BSP, croaker, etc.

JapanRon
[signature]
[Wink][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]ok i have some of those and i want to catch them off my tube and ive caught them before near a pileing and i got 3 off that one on ghost shrimp. they were ok size.. ok thanks see ya on the flip side![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]-Chris[/size][/font]

[signature]
I'VE JUST STARTED FISHING FOR SURF PERCH AND I'VE HAD SOME LUCK WITH GRUBS BUT MOST OF MY FISH WERE CAUGHT ON LUG WORMS I USUSALLY FISH FROM MANHATTAN BEACH PIER BUT I THINK I WANT TO PUT MY FISHING LICENSE TO GOOD USE I WAS ALSO WOUNDERING WHERE LOCALLY I CAN PICK UP SOME OF THE RIGHT GRUBS TO CATCH THOSE BIG HEARTED SURF PERCH THEY ARE REALLY FUN TO FISH FOR AND CATCH OR CUORSE [cool] I STAY IN THE LOS ANGELES AREA
[signature]
[Wink][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]OK thanks. you should get into floatubing.........[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]its a lot of fun! then you can fish for those surf perch in the bays like i do. Alimitos bay has a lot of them near the pileings. you should give it a shot. see ya on the flip side![/size][/font]

[signature]
I WISH I HAD THE EXTRA CASH FOR ONE[Sad] I WOULD SO DO YOU ONLY FLOAT OR DO YOU DO PIERS TOO I USUALLY GO TO MANHATTAN BEACH PIER I'M GOING TO TRY TO GET OUT THERE TODAY AFTER WORK THAT WILL BE AFTER 2PM IF IT DOSEN'T RAIN DO YOU KNOW HOW THE FISHING FOR SURF PERCH IS AFTER IT RAINS
[signature]
[Wink][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]dont know i never went for them except on my tube in alimitos. after i got my float tube i took all my rod holders off my cart i usally took to the pier. i never want to go to a pier again. i never caught anything worth eatin or anything worth keeping. so its worth the extra money. they have sales all over because of trout season up in the sieras opening up so there trout stuff is all on sale so go buy a float ube and waders for like 150. thats good because i got mine at the show. later see ya on the flip side! good luck at the pier.[/size][/font]

[signature]
[cool]Let's keep working on him, Chris. I have already given him my pitch. He will come around sooner or later. Maybe you guys can get him in on a tournament or get together and find him some gear to try. That usually does it...as you found out.

Hey Ralph, you should be able to find those tubes and twisters in most good tackle shops. Heck, a lot of stuff that works can be had at WalMart and other discount stores, if theY have a good manager in their fishing department.

I buy from several mail order places...such as Cabelas, Bass Pro, Barlows and Janns Netsports. If you want links to any of these, let me know and I'll post them for you. Start with the greens and browns, or something with red or orange flecks. And try some small spinners too.

There are days when natural bait is the only thing that will get bit. But there are also days when a well presented jig will get a "reaction bite", even when the fish are in a neutral or non-feeding mode. I know a lot of guys who say they consistently catch more and bigger fish on the plastics than they do with bait. Pitching artificials allows you to cover more water and find the fish, rather than waiting for them to swim by and find your anchored bait. AND, the strike from a big BSP or corbina, in skinny water, on an outgoing wave is something to remember. They almost take the rod out of your hand. If you are fishing with light tackle (which always works better anyway) you will get the fight of your life from average size fish in the surf.

And, THINK FLOAT TUBES.
[signature]
[Wink][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]ahah i'll try to get him hooked. manybe we can meet somewhere and get together and fish. if i can get a ride. hopefully you can get a deal during the spring sales. sportmart has some good deals. try them out. i seen their waders for 20-30%off. and tubes for like 100. also try turners. they have some good deals on tubes. try it ralph. i got my other 2 freinds hooked. they work on boats like my and tubin aaron. thats how they paid for theirs. see ya on the flip side!![/size][/font]

[signature]
I want to catch some Perchies.

Aaron
[signature]