Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The damage is done
This is probably the worst fishing season I can remember here in SC, fresh and saltwater. I think the most damage has been done in regards to our local lakes and rivers.

I know the Little Pee Dee hit record lows this year, and still remains way down on the flood table. I've never seen the river so low, and it's just now getting back up to a level that is managable. With the low water, the fish just haven't been there. I know fish like Flatheads that migrate have been affected dramatically. I just wonder how long it will take before the fishing is back to normal? How long before the larger fish die off and all that is left are smaller, weaker fish that don't have the size to survive long enough to produce young?

I know i've fished the LPD river my whole life, and i've never seen it like this. I have a hole close to the landing i put in at that has always produced large flatheads every single trip, but I didn't even catch a flathead this past season. Is this a sign of things to come?

I just wonder is this the story all over SC. I wonder if it's time for the DNR to take a serious look at our freshwater fisheries
[signature]