Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to go by IF on New Years Eve morning?
I will be taking my brother-in-law ice fishing. I wanted to go to Ririe - any thoughts if it will be fishable by the dam on Monday?

We did PaliSades once and caught a hefty cutt but that's all. If it were you, which lake would you choose?

I have a nice fish finder now so PaliSades could be better this time. Where would you fish paliSades if you went there. We fished big elk creek I believe last time. I just want to get in to some good fishing for my brother in law.

Thanks in advance and I will post whereever I go.
[signature]
Jacksonman,

As of the 26th Ririe had no solid ice, even if it forms I do not personally think it will be ready by the 31st. I hope I am wrong, because I too want to be fishing there soon.

You can read my PaliSades post for more detailed information, but I would strongly consider this in the early morning either by Big Elk or near the dam. If you could set up with a lantern in the dark this could get you ready for the morning bite, which usually comes between 7:30-10:30 AM. My Vexilar has improved my catch rates at PaliSades greatly, so any fishfinder should help your success. To me four or five fish at PaliSades beets 20-30 planters at other places.

If you want a lot of action (planters,) and maybe a big brown. You might want to consider Ashton. I had really fast action on the 23rd, and it will probablly stay that way for a while. Good Luck, I look forward to your post.

Ovid Creek
[signature]
I want to fish by the dam at Ririe and hope that there is 3-4 inches on the 31st. If not maybe Ashton - where is it from IF?

If not Ririe, then likely PaliSades at Big Elk - I don't know how to get by the dam. What would you use and where?
[signature]
I am not trying to scare anybody but I really do not think Ririe will be ready by Monday. With the wind an snow that we are having to day it will actually insulate the water and make it difficult to form good ice.

I would take Ovid Creeks advice and go to Ashton or if you like perch Mudlake.

Windriver
[signature]
I wanted to fish Ririe right by the dam - do you think there is a chance for 3 inches of good ice Monday morning for the first 100 yards from the dam?

If not, we will probably go to PaliSades - where is the best place to fish paliSades? Don't worry about secret spots being revealed - I am up visiting and rarely get to fish up here. PM me if you want.

I really hope that we can fish the dam at Ririe though. Anyone see Ririe in the last day or so?
[signature]
I would also agree that there will likely be no safe ice at Ririe on Monday. The forecast is for heavy winds tomorrow. Wind and ice formation don't mix. You could always make a quick stop on your way to PaliSades but based on the information from others, I wouldn't waste my time.

If you don't have a lot of time you could also try Gem Lake (on Snake just downstream of Idaho Falls) or above the small dam on the Snake just upstream of Idaho Falls. If you have access to snowmachines you could make an adventure out of a trip to Blackfoot Reservoir. You could also give Mackay Reservoir a try, the drive isn't much longer than PaliSades.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
[signature]
Tell me more about gem lake!! It sounds like a good option. Where is it, what do you catch, where do you fish it, what do you use??

We want toeither stay local or go somewhere on the way to Jackson where we will be spending New Years.

Thanks for all the info already given.
[signature]
I'm probably too late to answer your questions but I'll answer them anyway. [pirate]

Gem Lake has mostly rainbows but perch and brown trout are also a good possibility through the ice. I've also caught smallmouth bass, cutthroat, sculpin, chub and sucker from Gem Lake. I also saw my brother pull a whitefish through the ice there a couple years ago. The down side is the catch rate is normally low. Most days I don't do better than 2 fish per hour. Last winter I fished Gem Lake by the dam for just over an hour and was handed my only skunk while ice fishing in 2007. I have had other days on Gem Lake where I've done much better.

The three main access points include the NW corner of the dam boat ramp, bridge at mid section(1 mile from dam) and boat ramp at the East shore about 2 miles from the dam. I've caught fish everywhere on the small reservoir. The Gem Lake Harbor is popular with some ice fishermen but the only public access to the harbor requires walking on the ice from the boat ramp. The Gem Lake Harbor is on the NE end of the reservoir.

What I use would depend on the type of fish I was targeting. I'll mostly use 1.5" tube jigs which are good for the rainbows but will catch everything in the lake. I would also set up a pole or two for 18"+ brown trout that swin in Gem Lake.
[signature]
We went to Gem lake because my brother in law wanted to stay close to home. Only caught 2 10" rainbows. We saw lots of fish on the sonar but they just weren't biting. It was weird. We threw everything at them and couldn't get them to bite. We fished in 25 ft of water off the boat ramp by the dam.

Thanks for all your help. Next time my brother in law better be up to taking a longer drive to find the good fishinig or he might not be coming.[Tongue]
[signature]
Catching a couple small ones is better than getting skunked. Thanks for posting your results.
[signature]