Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Round Tube
I was flipping through the BPS 2008 Fishing Catalog, and in the fly fishing section there is a new round tube design called the Titan, I believe it is made by BPS. It is olive colored with orange markings for safety, it has a whopping capacity at 325 pounds! Next paycheck I will be ordering it. It is a pretty neat donut for the tubin guys!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Nice lookin' craft...for a round tube. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Any reason why you want a round tube rather than an open front model?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I honestly don't know, I currently have a round tube, and like it, I was looking at fish cats,but at 240 lbs, I am afraid the ones in my price range($100-200) won't hold me with their 250 lb capacity.

I have never been in a open front, from your experience are they better?
[signature]
Welcome aboard BassinatorBrian. I too think that you may want to look into the open faced tubes before buying a donut.

Many of us started with donuts and were most elated when the open front tubes came about because they are easier to operate, launch and land from them.

Either way we all hope you enjoy your new ride and please be sure to post some reports from your trips here.[cool]
[signature]
I enjoyned My ODC420 but Love my H3. I would enourage you to save a little longer and try to get a H3 or comparable SFC.
[signature]
I am a complete novice to tubing and was lucky enough to hook up with tuben2 a couple of times now. He let me use a [url "http://www.shopoutdoors.com/floattubes.html"][black][size 3]Caddis U tube[/size][/black][/url] similar to the Nevada.

On both of the trips I have tubed on I have seen guys in round tubes and they appear to be working a lot harder to get from point A to point B and maintain control.

The tube that TN2 gave me is rated at 250 lbs and it holds my 240lb body very comfortably in the water and its design allows me to move easily thru the water.

I recently did a search and found a really good deal on [url "http://cgi.ebay.com/Outcast-Fish-Cat-4-Inflatable-Float-Tube-NEW-Orange_W0QQitemZ230207162322QQihZ013QQcategoryZ15266QQcmdZViewItem"][black][size 3]fish cat 4[/size][/black][/url] that is one of several tubes that I would be looking at once I get more experience tubing and decide to upgrade.

If I were in your situation I would look seriously at the fc4 or similar type tube. It will much easier to tube in and in the long run you will get more for your money than the round tube.

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't know how much tubing experience you have had. I have been doing it over 50 years. I used to fish only from a round tube because that is all there was. Once I tried an open front tube, with higher seating, I would never go back. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The simple processes of launching and beaching are so much better when you do not have to either step into the tube and trudge it out around your waist...or try to get into the middle after getiing into the water. That is the biggest obvious advantage of a "front loader".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you get one that has you seated up higher, you will also stay warmer in cold water and get more propulsion per kick.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The FishCat4 will hold your weight, but the ODC 420 will hold it better. If you can spend $200, you can find a Fat Cat on Ebay right now for $199 on an ongoing basis. That is a great tube and will definitely float you well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It would be great if you had a source that would let you try before you buy. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm only 18 so my experience is a little less than 2 years.

So, after reading replies and comtemplating on the drawbacks of my round tube.I went down to my local Cabelas and tried out the fat cat! What a tube! It is so much more comfortable,plus,it provides a more comfotable feel when I have a rod in my hand, unlike the round tube, which seemed make my rod feel heavier. Thanks everyone for the input. The few extra bucks will just mean I'll have to be more patient and get something really good. Hopefully after I get the tube it will help to increase the popularity of them up here!

Tight Lines
Brian
[signature]
... the cost of all the advice is for you to submit pictures of your new tube once you get it.. plus.. pictures of you in it and hopefully with fish in hand.. [Smile]

... good luck

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Man, I wish I was 18 again, and know what I know now. Well, maybe I don't. I probably wouldn't live to be 20.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are wise to consider the advise from those more experienced. Good move to make a first hand inspection of the Fat Cat. That has no doubt done more to clarify your thinking than anything any of us could say to you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have long lived by the saying "It is always better to spend a bit more than you originally wanted...than to spend not quite enough." In the world of float tubes, price and value generally run pretty close together. But, there are some that are clearly better than others...for similar dollars. On the other hand, spending another $50 for a Fat Cat will be worth thousands of dollars to you over the years in terms of comfort and fishing efficiency. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One way of looking at it is to ask yourself..."How long will I own and use this tube?" If the answer is ten years, then that is an additional five dollars a year it will cost you to enjoy a better craft. If you fish only ten times a year from your better craft, that is only 50 cents a trip extra. With the price of tackle, lures, bait and (especially) gasoline, another 50 cents means nothing on any given trip. At least that is the reasoning I use when justifying those things to my wife. Unfortunately, she turns it around on me when she wants to spend more money on something.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a PDF file of something I wrote on this subject. Hope it helps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The investment could be well worth it. It convenience is priceless.[cool]
[signature]