Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kolob or bust
I am heading down to St. George this entire week and I intend on fishing Kolob Reservoir no matter what. From a previous thread, I guess that there is a gate that may or may not be open. Does anyone know if it is and if it isn't, is it ok to bike or hike the rest of the way to the reservoir? Asuming I make it to the lake, any tips on what lures or jigs to throw out there to make my efforts worth it would be appreciated. One last thing, ice is off right?
[signature]
well that lake is at 8118 feet, id say its probably 20-80 against you having open water . . .and you're going to get snow and rain the entire week . . big storm coming in . . better have a backup plan . . .

sm
[signature]
i dont believe he ice is off. i have been keeping close tabs because it is one of my favorites to go to right at ice off. good luck if you go. you may have open areas but as far as i know the road above the gate is snowed in thats why the gate is closed.
[signature]
The last report I got from on eog our students that family lives in Hurricane is the lake is still froze and you still can't drive thru the park because of snow on the road.

The road from the Cedar side is still snow packed and there is a huge snow drift at Smiths Flat that takes the county road crew heavy equipment to punch thru so I don;t expect the road on this side open for at least another 3-4 weeks

When you go Xman let me know if I am able to make it I'll go with ya

My float tube needs the dust knocked off it[cool] or washed off [angelic]
[signature]
hey duck hunter

we will be going the weekend after easter. that is if the snow and ice is off. i think it should be by then and should be just before the rainbwos spawn and great fishing. or thats what im hoping. but either way thats when i plan on going if ice is off. if your interested just let me know and well arrange times and stuff.
[signature]
i want in on that too! but i dont know if 2 weeks is enough time for that ice to melt . . current readings say 39 inches of snowpack . .

[url "http://www.ut.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/weekly/data_weekly/recrpt.htm"]http://www.ut.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/weekly/data_weekly/recrpt.htm[/url]

and snow's coming this week supposedly . . temperatures are supposed to drop 30 degrees by tues morning . .

STRONG SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL CONTINUE TONIGHT AND MONDAY IN ADVANCE OF THE STORM ACROSS THE WESTERN VALLEYS OF UTAH...ALL OF THE MOUNTAINS...AND IN SOUTHWEST WYOMING. A VIGOROUS COLD FRONT WILL ENTER EXTREME NORTHWEST UTAH EARLY MONDAY AND MOVE SLOWLY ACROSS THE AREA. MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES WILL FOLLOW THE FRONT. SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL WILL LIKELY OCCUR MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY OVER THE MOUNTAINS OF UTAH AND EXTREME SOUTHEAST IDAHO...AND POSSIBLY OVER SOME OF THE HIGHER VALLEY LOCATIONS.

RESIDENTS SHOULD PREPARE FOR A RETURN OF WINTER WEATHER AT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS BEGINNING MONDAY EVENING AND CONTINUING TUESDAY.STAY TUNED TO THE WEATHER CHANNEL AND WEATHER.COM FOR UPDATES....

sm
[signature]
well heck we should make a open invitation then for anyone who wants to head down south. i guess the question is when the ice is off and when the road will be accessible. ill do some calling to find out.
[signature]
I just got a report today that Sat the road to Kolob was open through the Park butttttttt with this snow storm it might not be passable again

There is a bit of open water around the dam if ya wanna flip a fly or a jig or heck even spinner etc. Anyway there is yawls report

Like I said the storm might have changed things.
[signature]
thanks for the update duck, looks liek a week or so of warmer weather will pull the ice off then. i have four wheel drive so .......... haha. hopefully the road will be open the weekend after easter. thats when im going
[signature]
[Image: PageAlbumKolob+ReservoirPageNumber1Pic3Fullview.htm]
[signature]
Well, I ended up driving up to kolob reservoir to check it out and sure enough it still had ice. Road was clear all the way up, but the dirt road around the lake was still snowed in. Ice was very slushy, but still pretty thick so ice off will be at least a week away if not more. I tried to post a picture that I took while I was there, but I couldn't get it to work.
[signature]
Here ya go !!

[Image: BRYS4773CustomImage0011855.jpg]
[signature]
Some ice is off all ready! My dad and brother drove up Friday afternoon before the major storm hit and said about the first 100 yards of the North end is open water. They said it was very windy but they had good sucess for 14-20 in. rainbows with a gold bladed black Panther Martin.