Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whirling disease at Strawberry
Just curious on the laws concerning whirling diseased fish. A friend of mine caught one and we didnt know what to do with it. Are we allowed to kill it or are we required to release it as it was in the slot. We sure didnt want to mess with the Strawberry laws!! Any help would be helpful if this ever happens again
[signature]
That's Sad. Eventually all of our waters will have whirling disease.
[signature]
All tests for whirling in Strawberry have come back negative so far. You probably caught a fish suffering from another trout impairment or a fish damaged at the hatchery or by another angler.
[signature]
Of all the claims of whirling disease in the Berry, your pics look most like it to me. If it is, then that's terrible. [unsure]

[url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxobolus_cerebralis"]Disease info and pics[/url]
[signature]
That fish doesn't have whirling disease. It suffered a spinal injury, probably related to a hatchery.

Fishrmn
You must have misread my post... or didn't read it at all. I didn't say it was. I said it looked most like whirling disease.
[signature]
Whirling disease or not, if it falls within the slot you need to release it, or risk getting a ticket. If in fact that fish had whirling disease then one could safely assume that the disease is already well established in Strawberry and whether or not a diseased fish is removed would make no difference in the long run.
[signature]
You must've misread my post. I didn't say anything about it's looks. I said it doesn't have whirling disease. It lacks the blackened tail that is characteristic of whirling disease. Also, the deformity is too far forward. The injury was in front of the dorsal fin.

Fishrmn
[angelic]
[signature]
I wish I had a nickle for every time this topic was posted.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]More reading on the subject in the Outdoors section of the Tribune today.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_7865017"]LINK TO COLUMN STORY[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]