Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the most versatile fishcatcher
I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the BUCKTAIL JIG has to be the most versatile fishcatcher of all time. Jigs come in all sizes and head shapes, like lima bean, arrowhead, bananahead, bullet shaped,ball shaped and a variety of colours.Also besides bucktail soft plastics can also be used to deadly effect. <br>No other jig/lure can be said to work the entire water column and target such a wide variety of species with such proven effect. My favourite colours are plain white, white/red,pink, and chartreuse. All can hold their own on a wide variety of species.<br>If you have any doubt as to their effectivenes, just look at the facts - in World War II part of a sailor's basic survival gear was the bucktail jig tied by the Upperman brothers.<br>The jig was guaranteed to work on a wide variety of species. Even though there are no figures as to the number of fish caught, the fact alone that the U.S. Navy put their faith in the bucktail jig accounts for a great deal. Even without this fact being known to me, the jig as my favourite would not have changed because of my personal experiences on fish such as Spanish Mackerel, King Mackerel, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon and other tough fighters. The jig produces when all else fails.<br>In fact, in my experience the only thing to outperform the jig has been live bait. And even then when combined, they have been known to have deadly effects on fish throughout the water column.<br><br>