Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invasion of quagga mussels
Friday, January 11, 2008 Invasion of quagga mussels a serious problem [Image: dave.strege.jpg] DAVE STREGE Register columnist
OUTDOORS
[url "mailto:dstrege@ocregister.com"]dstrege@ocregister.com [/url] [url "http://www.ocregister.com/sports/lake-water-quagga-1957427-mussels-private#slComments"]Comments 0[/url]| [url "javascript:recommendReview('OCRArticle1957427')"]Recommend [/url]0

Quagga mussels can grow up to nearly two inches, though typically are the size of a fingernail, yet they can pack a powerful punch to the environment and economy when they join forces.
Left alone, they reproduce quickly and in large numbers, and once they find their way into a body of water, there is virtually no way to eradicate them.
They colonize by attaching to piers, pilings, water intakes and other hard surfaces, and they can damage boat motors and clog water intake structures.
They can upset the food chain in a lake by consuming phytoplankton. Without phytoplankton, the zooplankton has nothing to feed on and dies. Without zooplankton, bass and crappie fry have nothing to eat.
"Even a moderate infestation can cause a 60 percent reduction in the fishery," said Jay Cowan, Lake Wohlford ranger supervisor who is on a San Diego County task force fighting the invasion.
"This is a real threat to freshwater fishing on the continent it appears to me. This is a big story."
It is a story fishermen and boaters need to take seriously, or there is no telling the potential destruction awaiting the fisheries of California and possibly the nation.
"We're in the process of spending $10 million over an 18-month period to control the spread of quagga mussels in our distribution system," said Bob Muir, spokesman of the Metropolitan Water District. "The amount of money is an example of how serious we're taking this issue."
No doubt, it is a very serious problem. Consider: The Department of Fish and Game reports that from 1993 to '99, the closely related zebra mussel in the Great Lakes area, where the quagga also first appeared, cost the power industry $3.1 billion with an economic impact of more than $5 billion.
Quaggas were first discovered in California a year ago at Lake Mead, where they were probably introduced up to four years before by a boater that had come west.
Since then the mussels have been found at, among other places, Lake Havasu, the Colorado River Aqueduct's entire 242-mile system, and at lakes Skinner, Mathews, San Vicente, Dixon, Lower Otay, Murray and Miramar.
Irvine Lake gets its water from Mathews, but the water is treated with chlorine before it hits the pipeline to the lake. Chlorine is an effective method of killing the veligers, the microscopic larvae of the quagga mussel that are free swimming and the biggest problem in spreading the species.
As a precaution at Irvine Lake, boats brought by anglers are inspected and sprayed with a chlorine substance. Anglers are also given a card explaining what they can do to prevent the spread of the mussels.
"We're comfortable with what we're doing, but there's a fear," Irvine Lake general manager Dave Noyes said. "Our fear is, if we get them, it would be from a private boater."
The lake is tested weekly. So far it is clean.
It isn't as big a concern at Santa Ana River Lakes or Anaheim Lake since both can be drained to rid the invasive mussel.
Several lakes in San Diego County are taking precautionary measures to prevent the introduction of mussels.
In August, the day quagga mussels were discovered in Dixon Lake, Lake Wohlford instituted a temporary ban on private boats, canoes, kayaks, float-tubes, trolling motors, fish finders and anchors.
Lake Cuyamaca followed suit and Lake Poway, which doesn't allow private boats anyway, banned float-tubes, private motors, anchors, bait containers, fish finders, floating catch baskets and all live bait.
Lake Henshaw is requiring private boats to be thoroughly inspected and rinsed with a special hot-spray wash before allowed onto the lake. Most lakes are posting information on the quagga to inform the public.
Like the water shipped to Irvine Lake, the water moving south from Lake Skinner is treated with chlorine, something the MWD is finding effective. Alternative methods for controlling the spread are being vigorously pursued by various agencies.
In the meantime, the public is being urged to take part in the process.
"We all have a role in stopping the spread," Muir said.
[signature]
Steps to control invasive species
Quagga mussels aren't the only invasion troubling the fishing waters of California. New Zealand Mud Snails are spreading rapidly, too.
Since first discovered in the Owens River, the mud snails have been found in numerous waters throughout the state, including Trabuco Creek and Segunda Descheca Creek in Orange County.
The Department of Fish and Game urges people to follow these measures to prevent the spread of mud snails:
Have extra waders and boots for use only in infested waters and store separately. After leaving the water, inspect waders, boots, float-tubes, boats and trailers, dogs and any gear used in the water. Remove visible snails with a stiff brush and follow with a rinsing. If possible, freeze or completely dry out wet gear before reuse.
To prevent the spread of quagga mussels, boaters are urged to follow these instructions:
Inspect all exposed surfaces. Wash the hull of each watercraft thoroughly, preferably with a high pressure and hot water. Remove all plants and animal material. Drain all water and dry all areas. Drain and dry the lower outboard unit. Clean and dry all live-wells. Empty and dry any buckets. Dispose of all bait in the trash. Wait five days and keep watercraft dry between launches into different fresh waters.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up Dryrod. Alot of strange stuff popping up all over. I don't think anyone will take the measures their suggesting. Hope you folks can handle it out west and it stays there,[unsure]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Apparently all movements starts one person at a time. Like I try to do my bit by keeping the water ways clean of debris. Then a bunch of slobs come by and make a mess that would require the 3rd Army's forces to clean up. I afraid that is what is happening here. One person doesn't clean their equipment and the infestation is on.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
you can thank the regans clintons and bushes for the de-regulations and de-quarentiens

there was a reason for making product wait at the boarders and ship yards before entering the country, but the all mighty buck and the theim for the corporate buck "global market"

dont get me wrong, I am not against making a honest dollar, I just think we need to do it responcibly. lets put the worlds envirment back as our primary concern insted of making some fat cat fatter... otherwise that fat cat just like the rest of us are going to go by the way of the diansaur...

we will consume ourselves out of a home. "which is the second leading therie about the extinction of the dinasaur... the third is desease... the forth is climate change.... we all know the first leading is a meteor..

we know for a fact the aceint mians of mexico did... tho thier forest lay in vast forest, at the time of their height they had deforest their land to the point that it was barren and a vilent huricane had wiped out the majority of the nation leaving a few indians left who never rebuilt because they had lost those who had the skills of their builders when the builders died in their buildings..

point is, nature repaired it self after the dinasaur, not the way the dinasuar remembered it, so will it again after we are gone, Wouldnt it be nice if we could alow it to heal it self while we are here?

people are to blaim for transferance of non native critters... I agree lets not for the sake of the dollar and our own pleasure transfer these critters and plants back and forth... so lets drain our live wells befor leaving one lake and put our fish on ice.. they will clean better if we do. a little bleach rince with a small garden sprayer in the wells will kill off any plant or animal transferance between trips to dirrerent lakes... spray the hull and spray the live well, it only takes a few seconds and a couple of pennies worth of pleach (a cap full in one gallon of water)..

you can rince the hull again after a bleach rince and the live well dosnt need to be rinced again, allow it to dry...

this pratice will kill off any mussle attachments or eggs thay may stick to your hull, and kill off any thing your live well has sucked in.....
[signature]
Mmmmm, I wonder if this quagga mussel is edible? If so, just cut about 1000 hungry shell fish lovers loose with an oyster knife and a bottle of tobasco sauce. Bring beer and crackers along and of course plenty of trash disposal as to not litter the area. I think it would be cool to "eat" our way into a better environment. But, as small as the average mussell is, they'd be there for a while before they got full. LOL [cool]

I know if something came out saying that oysters or clams were depleting the fishing in Murrells Inlet, and they took the bag limits out of the picture, there wouldn't be any problem with the locals wiping out the shell fish. We love some oysters and clams around here! If only it were that simple.
[signature]
The Sad thing is that they have the ability to re-produce multipule times per year. There is no way the public could keep up with them by harvesting them.
[signature]
I wonder if there is a way to introduce a sterile version to the population. That way, when fertilization occurs, nothing happens. "shooting blanks" per say.
[signature]
I don't think that will ever be possible. The states that are infested with them are spending billions of dollars per year just to keep their water systems operating.
[signature]
Unfortunately, they are already in places like the Great Lakes, and they have moved west from there.

Here are a couple of articles that talk about Quagga and zebra mussels and their advance into the Colorado River system (Lake Powell).

[url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/news/2007/3-29_quagga_mussels.php"]http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/news/2007/3-29_quagga_mussels.php[/url]

[url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/news/2007/8-9_quagga_zebra_mussels_lake_powell.php"]http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/news/2007/8-9_quagga_zebra_mussels_lake_powell.php[/url]
[signature]