Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weston, Condie, Twin Lakes
I hit Weston 1-18-08 (Friday) and found it pretty good. I caught five trout and 2 perch in about 3 hours. Photo attached.
The ice was thick but seemed quite rotten based on how easy my auger punched holes.

Left early to try Condie and Twin. Condie was not plowed and the highway crew had plowed a blockage on the access point.

Twin Lakes was still good for perch.

FR
[signature]
Great Report!!! Is there a lot of snow up there? were the (water) levels still pretty far down when the lakes froze?
TS
[signature]
nice haul,

ya got me wonderin tho, what the airasol can for?
[signature]
Hi guys,

Ok let me field your questions in order.

Quite a bit of snow as evidenced by the snow plow results on the highway, maybe a foot or two. Not much on the ice though. Maybe 2 to 4 inches there.

I don't know water level when it froze but it didn't look too bad when I was there, I guess 15 feet below high water mark.

I used the aerosol can to expedite starting the somewhat reluctant power auger. It is actually Starter Fluid. It is in the photo to give a sense of scale to the fish. The largest trout was 16" and the big perch was fat and just under 10 inch.

P.S. I have not eaten the fish yet but they look good externally. I have found fish from there to be top notch in the past and unless you hear back, these are in the same bracket.

FR
[signature]
Fished Twin last saturday, the 26th and caught a few trout but no one was catching bluegill, crappie or perch. Ice about 12" and snow varied from 2 to 6 inches. Fished from about 8 to 20 foot water and tried everything for bluegill and crappie and no luck. Not sure what is happening, but the bluegill talking to a lot of people are not as hot this year as in past years. And thats fishing norht lake, but just east and out from main boat ramp. Any one doing any better on the lake?
[signature]
I have never ice fished Twin, but in the Spring I fish the South Lake for Bluegill. It would be interesting to know where they go in the winter.

Windriver
[signature]
is weston a artificial lure only???? I know one of those reservoirs in that area are but i am not sure.
thanks
[signature]
Weston and Twin,

Weston has no rules on bait. Anything goes. They restrict bass and have a "float tube only" rule in the summer.

Twin Lakes was fishing well for perch last time I was there (mid Jan.). I was near the middle of the north lake, well south of the boat ramp. I could get continuous action most of the time. The fish were small on average but I caught 20 or so that were over my 8" criteria.

I also had no problem limiting out on trout. I would simply raise my outfits off the bottom to about halfway down. The trout were skinny and not really what you want for good eating size (long enough but skinny) so I only did this when the perch action went dead and I was bored.

There were so many perch in there that it is my hunch that they have taken over. If true,that is a good news/ bad news deal since perch are my favorite to catch and eat. The problem is that Twin Lakes is one of the last really good bluegill spots and crappie were starting to come on. The LM bass was good too. Perch have a way of out-competing all other species. I don't think trout should be in a lake like that so no loss there.....

The rumor is that the owners are going to close it to fishing so maybe it is all moot anyway.....

FR
[signature]
treasurton and daniels are fly and lure only the new proclamation came out and some rules have change so everyone should pick up a copy
[signature]
thanks guys for the info.
[signature]
thanks, I couldnt tell by looking at the can,

I saw a glossy shine on the fish, I was thinking you might have shined them up for a pic...[sly] great photo...
[signature]
I have found on my lakes the fish have moved to a new location... weird to say the least... but if the fish can adapt, then so can I...

this year they seem to be in the shallows more here than years past, wormer winter than normal, we are in to feb and we only have 6 inches of ice insted of the 18 inches we are used to....

I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but any thing can change in a lake, food sorce ect..... and it could be you are just there on a day when the fish are loc jawed....
[signature]
I have heard that there is a fee to enter the Twin Lakes area. Is that true?
[signature]
Depends on the time of year. I went a few times this past summer and it was $5 (I believe) to get in, but then towards the end of summer (August-September) they didnt charge anything. We went for Labor Day Weekend, camped and fished for four days and didnt pay anything!!! I hear they are threatening to not allow fishing in Twin since they have their panties in a knot because they didnt get approved to put a damn below the Oneida Narrows!!! Bunch of Sissies!!!
TS
[signature]
I talked with F&G about this in late january and they said that to their knowledge it was only a threat from the Twin Lakes Canal company, owners of twin, and that they had no knowledge of it become official. they said that they would put out a public information notice if it was going to be done but didnt think it would happen.

On another note, has any one been doing any good on bluegill or crappie, heard it has really slowed down and no one is doing much of any thing on them lately.
[signature]
I havent heard much of people catching crappie through the ice this year (at Twin), but when we were there for Labor Day we must have caught 60 really nice ones.
TS
[signature]
Dude, you didn't catch any fish on labor day. You know the skeeter pulled in all the fish. It would be terrible if they weren't allowing fishing at twin lakes. I guess they got tired of all the Utards catching all the fish. I'm ready to go when you are. In fact I may just buy an Idaho liscence. Would we get the mil discount?

And Koch send me a damn email.
[signature]
Son I tought you how to fish!!![Tongue] Send you an email? Call me at work. Are you on Tommy's shift? If so, that is when I am at work.
TS
[signature]
I fished Twin this afternoon 'till sunset. It was my first trip out there. I iced up a couple dozen perch... 1/2 of them were too small but 13 were over 8" and keepers to me!! Where in the world are the trout in there i only had one bite that i'm convinced was a trout everything else was a perch. Is there some secrets to finding those slimy buggers?
[signature]
Was the water (ice) still really low? There are some nice trout in there. I could easily tell you where to fish for them when there is no ice on the lake (I dont ice fish), but since you are ice fishing I would have no idea.
TS
[signature]