Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba limiters question
Went to Yuba today and had our limit if some nice sized perch with only 2 small ones in the bunch. All fish caught on cutter bugs tipped with perch or worm. Fished in 15 feet of water on the far west side of the lake from the ramp and painted rocks. Waved and fuzzy as he zoomed by on his sled. we fished for 3 hours and started around 8:45

My question is when we left most of the people that was already on the ice when we got there was still out on the ice in their shacks. So how many of these people in the shacks are shoving perch back down the hole? It just hit me strange that so many people was still fishing that was there before me....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]What????? Are you questioning the integrity of fellow anglers? Do you really think that some perch jerkers would stoop so low as to hide inside their tents so that they are invisible to the DWR spotting scope?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nah! Never happen![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Sad truth is that there are a lot of anglers, even outside of the tents, that are slipping the dinks down the holes to cull a limit of larger fish. CO's are seeing it, but in some cases do not have the time or inclination to trudge clear across the ice to issue citations...or to wait out the offenders and ticket them when they come back in. We knew that the new regs were going to open the door for a lot of violations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is the old story that Utah DWR people have vast areas to cover...for both hunting and fishing...and are just not able to put enough COs on every spot where potential violations are occuring. They have been trying to monitor Yuba more, with the new regulations, but until they can invent a 30 hour day and a ten day week there are going to be lots of unticketed violations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only other explanation is that those folks with tents might just be taking a nap and not fishing. Or, they might simply go out there and stay longer because they enjoy the quality time in the great outdoors. Then again, fishing from within a tent might make you such a lousy angler that you can't catch as many fish. I know that it is a big pain to move a tent once it is set up, so some of them might just drill over a bad spot and elect to wait out the fish rather than going to look for them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah. That's probably it. No need to think the worst of them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I never thought of the bad hole, not wanting to move the tent thing. [Wink].... I love the outdoors and spending time there as well but when I had my ten I packed up and headed out so that i can get back to do "the list".

I guess I am just jealous because I dont have a tent, Thats it.....
[signature]
After you have 10 Perch, why not put on 3" or larger tube jig and keep fishing for bigger fish?
I don't know how many Perch will get hooked on a 3"+ tube, but it would have to slow them down,I would think.
[signature]
And if you do happen to catch another perch, you're breaking the law. Why not start out with the 3 inch tube?
[signature]
My understanding is that after 10 you are done. Because the chance of catching another perch could happen even with a big jig. Today I was using a double set up and on my 8 and 9 fish it was a double so I quickly snipped off one of the jigs just so that I would not be in violation if it happen again.

Im not saying anything bad about anyone it was that something smelled a bit fishy when we pulled away from the ramp -- oh yea that was because I had a bucket of fish in the back and the smell was also on my hands.[Tongue]
[signature]
Yesterday, we started out with 2.5 and 3 inch jigs and large kastmasters tipped with large chunks of carp.... only slowed the perch down a little bit! But it enabled us to fish for 2 hours and only have 3 dinks in 20 fish.

And yes, even WE were wondering about the tents that were there SO long! However, I do tend to fall asleep in ice tents too!
[signature]
I didn't take my tent either. Second person on the ice and left at 10:00 with a limit. Only one was small. CO checked me and measured my fish for the creel survey. I fished by the island. Most of the folks I watched around me weren't pulling them in very fast so I wasn't surprised that they would be there for a while after I left. I moved twice to find active fish. If I had been in a nice warm tent I wouldn't have moved to find fish. Saw Fuzzy drive in just as I was loading up to leave.

Question: I paid my fee to park at Painted Rock, after fishing Yuba I went to PaliSades. Will my payment/coupon from Yuba be good for PaliSades too? Yes, I know...get an annual pass. Maybe someday, but most years it isn't worth it for me.

Thanks,
Chester
[signature]
I got there just before evening and the catching was slow .I fished the north side of the islands and when i left at dark there were 2 tents still there that were there before me. Makes you wonder1[Tongue]
[signature]
Myself, GEEZER, my uncle and my son were there today as well. We had the green Yamaha Grizzley on the west side behind the island. We got there at 8 am and didn't leave till dark with the last fish of our 4 limits being caught just before dark. IT IS POSSIBLE TO KEEP THE PERCH OFF!!!! We used whole chubs, 6-9" long and 6-8" tubes with chub parts on them. We only caught 1 perch on these setups and it wasn't till after we decided the pike weren't going to hit(about 3 pm) that we downsized and started catching some jumbo's. We hooked up with Fuzzy(thanks again Ron) and we headed south to the points to target pike and eyes.

Here is something that really pisses me off. After I hauled our gear and everyone back to the truck, i made a u-turn to line up with the trailer and noticed some items on the ground. I loaded the wheeler and walked back over to those items. To my disbelief, there was a pile of garbage and 2 nice sized trout one of which was pushing 20" lying there. What a joke some ignorant people are!! I hope it wasn't one of us BFTer's.[mad][mad][mad]
[signature]
If you pay at one park and you move to another in the same day your stub is good at both....

And if you fish barbless hooks and the fish get off before you get them out of the hole it does not count as a catch....[crazy]
[signature]
I think that we were right next to you. It was me and my freind (The BIG guy.) I saw fuzzy stop by and talk with ya. If I would of known I would of walked over and said hi.
[signature]
tommy and i did not get our limit yesterday. we brought home 13 perch and one pike.

i'm sure if we would have used smaller jig's we could have grabed a limit fast but we were trying catch bigger fish..

i did have one perch get off at the hole and made no atemted to try and stop it from swiming away other than that all perch that came out of the water was put in the bucket..
[signature]
hey chester paliSades is free in the winter time off season.. AS IT SHOULD BE!
[signature]
[reply]
So how many of these people in the shacks are shoving perch back down the hole?
[/reply]

Have you ever wondered why Utah suddenly changed their regulations to allow a two-pole permit on all waters?

Ice shacks make rules enforcement much more difficult...

I was fishing Piute on Saturday. It was about 34 degrees outside with no wind and the sun shining. My 4-year old daughter was running around without her hat or gloves, playing with the dog. I was looking around at the people in their ice-shanties wondering what the hell they were all doing inside on such a gorgeous day?
[signature]
I spend alot of time in mine for the simple fact i am a redhead and burn very easily. Not to mention i can't keep a pair of sunglasses for more than a week. My son usually likes to be outside but his skin is very dry and wind burn is a nightmare the next day for him. My excuse will work for about 1/100 but the other 99 are on their own.
[Wink]
[signature]