Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't forget the rust!
I was reading a post on another board, and the guy that posted it made a suggestion that reminded me of something everyone should do every year, trailer maintenance. Now, i'm not talking about greasing the bearings and checking the air pressure, those should be done after each trip anyhow. What i'm talking about is addressing seasonal rust.

I have a galvanized trailer under my 21' center console, but I still get surface rust, especially along the welds and joints. It is sooooooo critical to address this surface rust before it gets into the skin of the steel. Atleast once a year, take a wire brush and some cold-galv spray and walk your boat trailer from back to front. Anywhere you see rust beginning to accumulate, clean it up with the wire brush, wipe it off with a clean cloth, and apply the cold-galv to the area. For added protection, go back over the area with clear coat once the galv spray has cured. This simple routine will add years to your trailers life.

Also, while you're inspecting the trailer for rust, look for bunks that need replaced or re-carpeted, as well as faulty rollers and guides. This will save your boat hull from pre-mature damage. [Wink]
[signature]