Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Klinkhammer
Okay, you guys that have been ff for awhile should know about this fly.
For you newbies, this is the coolest DRY FLY pattern you could ever learn.
Because of the way it hangs in the water allows you to use a bigger hook, because the silhouette will be smaller. The bend of the hook hangs down. You can even attach a tail in the middle of the hook making it appear even smaller.
You can use a light scud hook or, I use a 200 and kink the first section of the hook, just behind the eye.
It can be tied in any color and represent many different dry flies.
Check it out.....the KLINKHAMMER:
[Image: Klinkhammer.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Looks like someone had a bad hair day. 3 million fly patterns out there so that means that I have to learn 2,999,998 more. LOL Thanks for showing us that fly FGD. Which brings up an interesting point. For you folks that can fly fish every day [if you wanted to] how many different patterns can you recognize by sight and name?[/size][/green][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33185;][/center]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Great fly in all colors to fish. The visible post makes it easy to see, but, parachutes are a pain to tie.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I like mine with a little elk hair sticking out the rear of the thorax. helps with the buoyancy of the fly.[/size]
[signature]
Dryrod, I couldn't tell you the name of many of the bugs I come across, but as long as I have been tying I am sure I got a close match in one of my fly boxes.
Check this one out. I love this. Biot is so cool, cause you tie it in one way and it is smooth, tie it in the other way and it frays on the edges making a great rib:

[inline "Klinkhammer 2.jpg"]
[signature]
okay that does it.. when ya'll come out this way we gots to not only do some fishing but ya gots to do lessons on tying flies.. [Smile]...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
...forgot to add before.. great looking flies.. one day I will have the talent.. [crazy]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hey there MacFly - Last week JASON BORGER spoke at our club meeting. One thing that he mentioned was that too many people sweat it out trying to tie a perfect fly. A fly doesn't have to be perfect or exact to catch a fish. Spend that extra time learning where the fish hang out & by reading the waters. A perfect presentation is more important than a perfect fly. BTW Jason did the casting in the movie ". BTW I took the liberty of paraphrasing his comments. A River Runs Through it".[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
..well if flies dont have to be perfect then I am gold.. [angelic].. tbh.. big learning curve but that is the challenge for me. now .. just to find the time.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
great looking location and abode.. Im telling ya.. Im starting my Christmas list early.. [Smile]

..btw.. is that you in the river in the background???

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have several sizes tied up in several colors. Some times it has worked well and other times it has not done very well at all. But that is the way with most flies isn't it.

I was fishing the Arkansas River one time when my usual dry dropper were not working. I switched to a klinkhammer with a elk hair caddis tied on at the eye of the Klinkhammer. I caught fish on the klink for a couple of hours without s single hit on the EHC. Then about 2 pm it switched to where I was catching browns on the EHC without any hits on the Klink. An hour later and they were not hitting either one.

I demonstrated the methods of tying the Klinkhammer at a TU meeting a few years ago. Besides this unique fly my reasons for demonstrating the klinkhammer was the use of Griffith's 14/0 which not many people at TU had tied with and Hans Van Klinken's method of wrapping and tying off the hackle. It is a method that I use a lot on my parachutes. Works well on very small parachutes where you may have trouble trapping the hackle under your whip finish. While I was tying the fly I told people that Colonel Klink came up with the fly and fished it exclusively. People were buying that thought so I had to tell them I was just kidding.

I use a TMC 200r with a kink behind thorax area mainly because I always have this hook around. Patridge makes a hook specifically for the Klinkhammer but I can't remember the number. I also used a TMC-205BL but I see that Tiemco does not make it any more.
[signature]
Dr wrote: [font "Pristina"][#008000][size 4]For you folks that can fly fish every day [if you wanted to] how many different patterns can you recognize by sight and name?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Pristina"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Pristina"][#008000][size 4]----------[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Arial"][black]I don't fish everyday but I can name way too many. I probably have all of them in my fly collection.[/black][/font]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Don't I wish it was yours truly. Had thought about renting that place but couldn't get the rest of the family interested. They would rather go to Jackson Hole where my neice has some property. This is a view of the front of the shack. LOL[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[Image: front_of_house.jpg]
[signature]
...looks like it could be a good place for a fishing road trip.. [Smile]... since it is not your place I can only guess that the angler in the river is not you...[unsure]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I would also guess that it was not Joeblo Public just fishing through either.
[signature]
FG,

I have you been using the Klink long? What are your favorite sizes?
[signature]
okay...Ill just have to dream it is me then.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have been using them for a long time. I like them small so 16 thru 20. Not that bad with the 200R hook cause it is a little longer as you know.
Purple Klinks are awesome in the Uintas and Yellow on the Provo.
[signature]
I have done cream, olive and tan in size 16 to 12. Hans Van Klinken talks about using large sizes than you normally think. I will have to try some in those smaller sizes. Never though of using purple but pale yellow I have. Just never carried the thought to doing some.

I leave the post long. If the water is rough I leave it long. But trim it back if it is quite water or rather windy.
[signature]
I have been trying CDC for post. Bad thing is you can't add flotant to cdc, thank god for Frogs Fanny.
[signature]
I have some duck butt oil as well as the frogs fanny. But I keep forgetting I have the duck butt oil (Rene Harrop's Natural CDC Fly Dressing) so I have not used it much to decide how well I like it.
[signature]