Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacramento Perch
I am planning a trip out to Pruess Lake this spring to see if a can catch some Sacramento perch. Does anyone have any fishing tips for the best results of catching one of these fish? I'd love to hook into one! Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Maybe we can get a BFT caravan going out there. GEEZER, a BFTer, used to live out in that area and is very familiar with it. He has passed along a few things to me and I keep trying to make it but keep getting derailed by other things.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]DWR does not supply any info in their Hotspots or their basic info on state waters. It is kind of an orphan child as far as available info goes. But, I have collected a few maps and scrounged up some trivia. See attached for a photo and an aerial view.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For one thing, it is a small lake, with the deepest (dam) end at the north and a shallow muddy inlet area on the south. There are supposedly largemouths and channel cats in there too, as well as carp. From fishing them in California, I have found them to be a lot like crappies...small lures, fished slow at mid depth...liking structure if they can find it. GEEZER says that they used to catch a bunch of Sacramento perch by just fishing a piece of worm on a hook. That might be too high tech for me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am planning a shot sometime around the first of May. Might stop off at DMAD either before or after.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll join the caravan. We never made it last year TD, I got distracted by the toothy critters up north and kept putting it off. If/when you do go shoot me pm.
[signature]
I'd be interested in tagging along also. We had them in Pyramid Lake in NV when I lived there. Never seen/heard one caught. Basically, people fished for Sac perch just so they could bypass the summer closure on trout fishing there.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Target time will be around the first week of May...depending upon weather conditions. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had two different trips planned out there last year and both of them were postponed due to the forecast for high winds. As you know, float tubes and wind are not good companions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hopefully our PM functions will continue to work and we can do a countdown as the time draws nigh.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anybody else who wants to gang up on them is welcome too. The more the merrier on "reconnaisance" missions...on new waters. The more sonars and lures in the water the better the chances of finding and catching fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'd kinda like to tag along on that trip too. If my memory serves, it might be a better idea to hit it around the first of April. Seems liks that's about the time we used to slaughter them there where the stream from Big Spring runs in.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We will definitely bow to your past experience ol' buddy. No reason we can't go in April and in May too, if the fish and the weather cooperate.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You would be welcome, of course.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would like to go and take my boat that way if any tubes get caught in the wind I could help out...

Oh do they have a boat launch???[crazy][sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No launch ramp, but I am sure you could launch it with your wheeler. Supposedly there is a spot near the dam where small cartops can be launched. It is muddy and shallow at the south inlet area.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would like to come along if my schedule permits.

Utahbill
[signature]
Ok pay back is h*ll you know...[sly][sly]
[signature]
If you guys head out there make sure to stop by TD's bar and grill in Baker NV. Sierra Nevada on tap.
[signature]
I don't have my thinking cap on you missed me????[crazy]

What do you mean???
[signature]
There used to be a spot on the east side just south of the dam where my uncle launched his ski boat. Now that was about 40 yrs. ago though.
[signature]
I would be down for that as well. And MMM Sierra Nevada on tap, it has been a while.
[signature]