Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum Heyday 1/31
The plans for Bear Lake fell through due to the storms a brewin', so my 11 yr. old and 5 yr. old decided to hit Hyrum with me this morning.

And boy are we glad we did.

Got there around 9:30'ish and BOOM the action was almost non-stop until we left around 1:30. My daughter caught four in a row before I even had my hole drilled. The bite was on pretty much all morning, and we lost count how many perch we caught. The bonus of the whole trip was all the trout we iced!

The highlight of the day (besides watching my kids faces light up with all the hot action), was the fat 'bow I iced . She was the biggest trout I've ever caught out of that lake measuring 19" and VERY fat- maybe 6 lbs. I'm guessing. After taking the snapshots I released her for someone else to catch, and hopefully get released again. When I got her up to the 8" hole, I had to use my ice skimmer to lift her out. It's amazing what 4 lb. test and a certain jig will do!

My boy caught what looked to be a cross between a Brown and a Rainbow. (pics 21 and 22) Kinda weird. Does anyone have any input on that? Pics are attached below.

A great day and definitely one for the highlight reel. [Wink]

If anyone wants specifics, shoot me a P.M. and I'll fill ya in.
[signature]
Great report! Cute kids too.
I am going to guess that your brownbow is in fact a brown with minimal markings. It does look like both though. I caught a 23" 5# bow by the inlet about 6 years ago along with a bunch of perch and more trout.[cool]
[signature]
Nice report, sounds like you and your kids had a great day on the pond. Your picture of the brown is just that, a brown. In some lakes the spots on brown trout get bleached out like the one in your picture. Thanks for sharing your report Lavaman,sounds like a day the kids will not soon forget[cool].
[signature]
Thanks Brody and Curt! I try to enjoy the outings and anytime I catch fish, that's just a bonus. [Tongue]

Do you guys know how big those trout get in that lake? Do they get much bigger than Brody's 23" 'er? I'm telling ya, that was so fun to reel in my fat 'bow on 4# test. The hook was a little bent and I had to re-shape it with my pliers.

And that's the first Brown that my boy and I have caught out of Hyrum, they must be pretty rare.

Thanks for the input guys.
[signature]
Sure sounds and looks like a great trip. Nice report. That fish is just a plain ol brown. The "brownbow" didn't do well when forced hybridization took place. They developed cataracts and died before they got very big.
[signature]
Great report! Thanks a lot for posting all of the pictures, it make it a lot more enjoyable. Congrats on the big bow too.
[signature]
No doubt thats a "Hyrum" brown. I grew up fishing that area and caught a lot of browns similiar to that. I just about broke my neck when I was a stupid teenager [pirate] near where you were fishing!!!!
[signature]
Congrats that 'bow is a PIG! Trout that big aren't super easy to catch out of Hyrum! I've iced only 4-5 that big in the last eight years and one was a brown last year! It looks like you're fishing within a couple hundred feet of the holes i visit frequently out there. I don't believe many if any trout get bigger than that out there. I maybe catch one brown a year out of there, and that's in about 30-40 trips on the ice. I took a six year old fishing there 4 years ago and he iced a 'bow that weighed in at 5.5 lbs, that was a blast so keep your kids out there they'll remember forever! Congrats again on that fatty 'bow!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice report and pics, Derek. They are still a bit large for the "bandwidth challenged" though. They should be under 300 KB, but still better than some of the mega pics others still post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Cute kids and great looking jigs (Ha).[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the kind words, Pat and Thom...

I'll reduce the pixels even more next time I post pics, sorry 'bout that.

Yeah, those jigs are some of the best I've ever used. A great guy gave them to me. [Smile]
[signature]
Fished Hyrum since the early 70's and every once in awhile abrown will come down river and someone will catch a decent one and there is no mistaking it for anything else- it's a brown- but those fish I certainly would bet are just different planter bows. Hyrum has put out some very large trout over the years but on avg a 23" is a beast.
And Derek--------- get back to work. [cool]
[signature]
C'mon Bob, I need a break from work once in a while right?

[Wink]
[signature]
Thats incredible, your kids have to be hooked now!
[signature]
looks like an awsome trip. sent you a PM for more ice info
[signature]
Lavaman- don't get your head caught in any of the Xerox equipment. [cool]
[signature]