Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba1-30-08
This is my first post on BFT and I just want to thank all you folks that post good info on here, for a year now if I want to know where its good I just check out what you post on here and away we go. Today me and my youngest daughter made the trek to Yuba and all I can say is wow, hour and a half awesome perch and they eat stellar. I would say it is as good a perch fishing as I have ever been in so dont wait get down there and enjoy. Thanks again for the great info I hope I can give some too. Al.
[signature]
Welcome to the BFT and congrats on your catch. Perch are yummy arent they and i bet your daughter had a lot of fun catching then too.
[signature]
Welcome Al and I look forward to reading your fishing reports.
[signature]
cool what part were you fish in? i went down today as well. we fished painted rock south west side of the island. had to tie my hut to the snowmobile to keep it from blowing away.. [unimpressed]

fishing was good today. cought my limit of nice fat perch's..
[signature]
We were at painted rocks too, we got there at 9:30 had to leave at 10:50 as twenty perch come pretty fast with three poles in the water. we were south east of the big Island and the wind was just starting to pick up when we left. I think just about anything tipped with a little chub, succer, or worm will get you a quick limmit of those awesome perch. Guys and Gals, dont put it off get down there and partake. The ice was thick, glad I took my power auger as I would say the ice is over a foot thick. As a side note my daughter lost a perchzilla at the hole (You know the classic one that got away) but it was a good day.
[signature]
Okay!! I admit, I have never been to Yuba but you guys are really tempting me? Where should I fish? Whate depth are the perch being caught at? I'd like to leave early and get up there about 7:00 am and catch some big uns. Are they feeding ont he bottom? I know I could go up to the "Port" and catch a grundle but they are all going to be small. Those perch look really healthy. Is 20 the limit at Yuba?
[signature]
10 per person is the limit. You HAVE to keep all that you catch. No letting them go.
[signature]
4 of us got there shortly after noon and that wind was howling and a COLD WINDCHILL!! If we had to sit on the ice without the huts, we never would have tempted it. We saw no one on the ice when we got there, but 3 or 4 tents and 1 brave group without, when we left 2 1/2 hours later. Slower fishing than it has been. Fishing the same area. Walked right from the boat ramp to the center of the island, and fished at a depth of 26 feet. Ratfinkee tipped with half a crawler. Dropped it all the way down and reeled just off the bottom a foot or two. We had nothing to brag about, several 10 inchers and a few 11 to 12. 4 limits. A ton of fun.
[signature]
Its nice to read how you did on this trip, and hope to read more of your other trips and see some pictures of you and the Smiles ...
[signature]
I have never been to Yuba. I am going this Saturday. I just need to know where to go. Sounds like you can park at the boat ramp and then where do you go from there? Then to the center of the island? Not sure if that meand half way between the ramp and the island or what. Can anyone help? I may be alone so maybe someone can turn me on to some good fishing.
[signature]
Typically we are about 150' - 200' off the face of the island. That has worked for us. Yes we parked on the boat ramp. It's just a short walk. Measured the ice and it was 14" of ice and 5" snow. ATV's shouln't have any problems if you use 'em. The walk is super easy. Easier with a few inches of snow too. Earlier in January it was bare ice. I tend to fall and break easier as I get older. Good Luck.
[signature]
Is the island directly in front of the boat ramp? I am trying to visualize this. If you are 150 200' off the fact how far of a walk from the boat ramp is it. Not that I am opposed to walking just trying to get an idea of the lake. Thanks,
[signature]
When you are on the ramp, the island is at about 1:00 and out about 200 yards. Can't miss it. And don't forget, we are talking abouth the Rock Cliffs area. [Wink]
[signature]
JBinUTAH meant to say Painted Rocks not Rock Cliff. It's on the east side of Yuba. Read some of the other Yuba posts from the last couple of weeks. There are good pictures and advice on them.
[signature]
Ya, Painted Rocks.[crazy] Thanks
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been there a lot...both in warm weather and under the current ice conditions. Here are some labeled pictures to help you get a better feel for it. Also a map that shows the upper end of the lake, including Painted Rocks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are in reasonably good condition, it is only about a fifteen minute hike either to the islands or across the lake to the productive areas on the other side. The depth of the snow and slush, after the most recent storms, will be the factors that make a difference.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You can park on the side of the boat ramp i was there last saturday and there was plenty of parking. Trust me you cant miss the island unless you are blind. Do you have a depth finder? It would help if you did so can see how deep you are. Also the perch come and go so it also would help to see if you are deep enough were they are travelling.Sometimes they are way off the bottom.I will be there this saturday with my son.I have limited use of my right arm so i will be by the island its not a far walk . Good luck this saturday if you hear a kid scraming thats my son.
[signature]