Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls Reservoir
Has anyone been fishing the American Falls Reservoir? I have been going to the Bighole area and fishing for the perch with good success. I have been 4 times and the last time things were a bit slower than the times before. I have set 4 poles out for trout and fished for perch with just one pole. The perch have kept me busy but out of 4 trips have yet to get a trout. I see fish on the finder but have just caught perch. Has anyone else been catching any trout and has anyone been fishing by the dam?
[signature]
I hit A.F. for about 1 1/2 hours late in the day on Sat. I set up about 100 yards off the boat ramp at Senior Citizen beach. I only drilled 2 holes because the Ice was very thick and hard. Caught several small perch, no trout. I too saw lots of fish on the Vexilar, but usually they would end up being the perch I caught. I was the only person on the ice that evening. There was evidence that a few people were there earlier that day. Those big rainbows have to be stacked up somewhere, the problem is finding them on a reservoir that size.
[signature]
How big are the perch at American Falls this year?

Windriver
[signature]
The perch I have been catching range from 6"-9".
[signature]
I've heard of some people getting some nice perch 10"+ and a few nice trout. I plan on giving American Falls a try Thursday and/or Friday. I'll post a report if I go.
[signature]
Dinky perch and a few chubs saturday at Aberdeen. One fish nearly took my pole down the hole but spit the hook before I could set it. I'm sure it was a big trout as it was a totally different bite than the other fish. AF can grow big perch but it takes a couple good water years which we have not had. If you catch a 10 " perch there I would say its a big one.

I don't know that medicare beach is the best spot for ice fishing-not bad in the spring, but hit and miss during the winter. The low water has basically left some of my favorite ice fishing areas dry. I think the trout fishing will pick up later.
Have you found some time to finally get out and fish in between pokying people.
[signature]
It has been nice to fish more this winter. Between Chinese medicine (poking people) and being a new dad, it was tough to find time to get out for a while there. Actually took my 3 1/2 year old last trip to A.F., she asked why we only caught baby fish.
[signature]
take her to chesterfield this summer should have a good amount of holdovers, and bigger. first 2 pics of flygoddes and her minnow and 3rd pic buddy mike in november last year
[signature]
I didn't make it out to American Falls. Maybe I'll have a report next week.
[signature]