Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls 2/12/08
This report is a little late because I've been busy with other stuff. I fished by Aberdeen and by the dam. At both places I was able to catch perch none stop. Most of the perch were 6.5"-8" long but I did get a few larger ones. Trout fishing has been slow for me as usual at American Falls but all of the trout I've caught have been nice sized. I also like American Falls because I know I have a chance of catching a rainbow or perch worth putting on the wall. All of the 7" perch make it very difficult to target the trout. Edge ice was slushy but no board was needed to get on the ice. I had my board in the back of my truck and should have used it. I did break through on the edge while getting off the ice by the dam. Other fishermen had a hard time getting their 4 wheelers on the ice.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33512]
Here is a picture of one of the rainbows I caught. He was about 22.5" long and weighed 4.5lbs. He had a few 3"-4" perch in his stomach. He was good to eat as well.[Wink] I let the other rainbow go without taking any pictures or putting a tape on him. The other rainbow was slightly short but probably weighed as much because it was fatter. The second trout fell off next to the hole after fighting him for about 15 seconds. Lucky for me he had a very short memory. I droped the jig back down the hole and hooked him again. He had a second fresh hook mark on the other side of his mouth so I'm fairly confident it was the same fish. I caught both rainbows on 3" white glow tube jigs tipped with a chunk of chub meat. I fished the larger jigs 4 feet off the bottom to keep the perch from playing with them as much. Perch would still play with them and I caught at several perch one these large tube jigs, including one nice one.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33513]
Here are some of the perch I caught. I didn't keep any of the 8-9.5" perch this trip because I didn't feel like cleaning all of them. A small piece of chub meat on a smaller jig or small kastermaster also worked very well for the perch. The chub meat stayed on the hook much better than a meal worm or night crawler.

I may fish American Falls again Saturday or another day next week. If anyone would like to meet up on the ice let me know.
[signature]