Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2/18/08 Homemade Bait + Jordan River = Carp
I took a little break in my trout routine. We got back very late from our weekend at Vegas so I wasn't about to get up early to go ice fishing. I've been on a European Carp Forum and can't believe how die hard those guys are about carp fishing. They take trips to other countries in Europe just to catch carp, have carp tournaments, and would love to take a bash at fishing for them in the U.S. It's funny that here in America we are overrun with tons of big carp and they are so overlooked.

I found a carp bait recipe and whipped up a batch this morning:
1 cup Wheaties cereal (crushed)
1cup flour
8 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon honey
Molasses
Mix ingredients together with enough molasses to form the dough ball to your liking, place in a plastic tub and your ready to catch some huge carp.!

I had to add a little water and then some more wheaties and flour to get the consistency I wanted. After it set for a while it sticks on the hook better than powerbait. It has a good sweet smell that disperses really well in the water.

Anyway, I fished underneath 90th south at about 4pm and caught 8 carp and was also surprised to hook into a channel cat using the above concoction on a large single hook.

The carp would move directly to the bait as soon as I cast it in, but really toy with it in their sensitive mouths (typical of carp), so it was a little difficult to hook them. Once I did get a hookset, they fought very well, and even leaped out of the water.

Next time I'll use a European blow-back/hair rig specifically designed for the fish to get more hookups (if I'm not fishing for my usual quarry).
[signature]
Are you c&r or c&k? Somebody has to do it huh?[Wink]
[signature]
Whether it's catch & kill or catch & release, I don't see the benefit of doing either because there are so many carp. I just take the hook out and toss them back in. To me its better than clubbing them in the head and leaving them to rot.
[signature]
I've never fished for carp or fished the Jordan. In fact I've only ever caught one fish that I didn't catch ice fishing. But my wife was looking on here and saw that a lot of people catch and kill the carp and then just leave them on shore. She asked me something I didn't know the answer to. Could you catch them, kill them, and then throw them back in the water? Are there fish in there that would eat them? Seems like that would avoid the stink of dead fish all over the shore but I'm not sure what the rules are on that. Just a thought.
I don't think that kiiling the carp then throwing them back is bad or anything. The pirahna and crocodiles would take care of them.[cool]
[signature]
[Smile] sounds like a fun day. i'm going to have to try your bait.
[signature]
It sounds like you had a great carp trip. A few years ago I was talking about carp fishing with my boy and he decided he wanted to try. He had a lot of fun making carp dough in the kitchen and used every liquid and dry ingredient he could find. It was June and we went up to Deer Creek. I fished for bass and he dropped a 1" plus treble full of carp dough on the bottom. 10 - 15 minutes later he's yelling that he got one. When he pulled it in it was an 11" smallmouth. He wasn't jigging or moving the bait at all (I had told him to just let it sit on the bottom). Go figure.
[signature]
[shocked] maybe i should try that for the bass on willow pond.
[signature]
[shocked]!
The exact same thing happened to me once on a store bought carp bait I used at Flaming Gorge. No carp at all even though I could see them, only a scrappy smallmouth. It was wierd. From then on, I decided I was going to make my own carp bait from a proven recipe I knew other people had used the next time I went carp fishing.
[signature]
The only time i have ever specifically targeted carp was at Lake Powell last year. There were quite a few fish in the shade of the house boat (typical) and my neices and nephew wanted to catch a fish so I thought that it would be super easy to catch the carp just hanging out in the shade. So we hooked cheeto's on a treble hook and just floated it down the side of the houseboat. The carp would play with it but never take it. We decided to just let it set there in hopes one would actually take the bait and we walked away. About two minutes later my nephew came running up to me saying we had a fish. Wouldn't you know we had a 12 inch largemouth caught on a cheetoh in a little over three feet of water.
[signature]
Thanks for the recipe. When I lived in Germany, the Germans went after carp more feverishly than trout. It was crazy. The same thing in Japan.

Add some crushed L-Lysine Amino Acids from the healthfood store- the carp, for whatever reason, love that stuff. I think it is something they need in their diets and are attracted to it like cows or deer are to salt licks.
[signature]
Tried the receipt and it worked great caught 3, one big enough to give me a good run. I also ran into Catfish Getter there also looking for some carp cutbait.

Thanks RyanCreek I owe you one.
[signature]
Glad to hear you had success with it. Its one of the more simple baits to make and I think I've found a winner with it. I may end up trying it in the Colorado River in a couple weeks when I'm down there for some of the bigger carp.
[signature]
[left]bring back some pics.[/left]
[signature]