Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have to register your electric trolling motor in Utah?
Well?

I have read about boat registration but what about electric trolling motors, and what about inflatable boats?
[signature]
If you have any kind of motor on any kind of boat or tube it needs tags.
[signature]
Flyboy is right, but he means tags for your boat/tube/canoe. You only need to register the motor if it is 50hp or larger.
[signature]
I thought you needed insurance over 50 hp, not to register the motor. I didn't think outboards were required to be registered in UT. In some states yes, but in UT, no. I have an I/O so I'm not sure.

As far as what does need to be registered in UT, all vessels with any type of motor or sail except sailboards. That means all things that float and are capable of carring a person with any kind of motor, electric, gas, diesel or propane/NG must have a registration of block letters and numbers 3" tall clearly visable on the front 1/2 of the vessel.

It's all in the UT boating brocure at [url "http://stateparks.utah.gov/boating/registration.html"]http://stateparks.utah.gov/boating/registration.html[/url]
[signature]
i was told by a wildlife officer in the parking lot at DC once that if my tube has a motor, gas or electric the tube should be registered as a small craft w/motor. when i registered my 14 foot aluminum dream they wanted pictures of it with the motor on it for proof of boat or something. so any motor on any craft you have to register the craft.

on my boat, i am NOT required to have collision/prperty insurance on it becuase i have a motor UNDER 50 horse. even if i got the 20 horse i want i still DO NOT need the extra insurance.

that said, I carry insurance for theft, property, and collision on my boat incase its stolen, or i do actaully hit something in the water like a stump it will be paid out...it also covers me if SOMONE else hits me on the water and they DO NOT have insurance like if another fishn boat hits me, then my insurance chases them after i am taken care of.
[signature]
kinda silly on a toon or float tube if you ask me. (did someone ask me? lol) I haven't registered my toon yet but I like living on the edge![cool][shocked]
[signature]