Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
provo river fun (report)
I had the chance to get out and fish the middle provo river where i live yesterday afternoon. I would have to say that this was one of my best days fishing on that river for a long time. the action was mostly on the top water using dry flies, but a few people were doing okay using spinners. I noticed a strange thing when I was out though that might be of some interest, and that is the fish were not really jumping to get the fly, heck they werent even making a splash, they would just suck it under, then gobble it up. I perfected this technique after i missed about a dozen fish. I was fishing this pool that was producing well for most of the afternoon. Hear is where the funny part comes into play, i noticed a nice sized fish breaking the surface but i was past a swifter current into a eddy, so i had to get a little closer so i could get the fly to stay at a dead float instead of poicking up speed with the current. I decided i would move a little bit closer to get into that sweet spot but that was a big mistake for me[blush]. I slid right off the shoulder of the rocks and into the deepest pool of water i have ever seen on that river. Lucky for me my waders kept me floating on the surface until i got to shallower water and could get my footing again.[laugh] I would have loved to see what it looked like from a different point of view. Picture this a guy floating down a deep section of river with only his head and chest above the water[Tongue],LOL. I only got a tiny bit of water in my waders and it did not bother me too much. I totalled out with about 7-9 fair sized river fish. All in all a good day on the river. I fished from about 4 until 7, and the fishing was hot for about an hour or two when i got their. One word of advise for any one going up is to think small, my bigger flys did not too anby thing for the fish but when I put on my smalles fly the fish came knockin'.

Just to mention that there were some people haveing a ton of luck using a wd40 gnat fly pattern. any gnat pattern is working but the fish preferred that greyish color over all.
[signature]
something you said picqued my interest from another report i read here at BFT:

...[size 1]I noticed a strange thing when I was out though that might be of some interest, and that is the fish were not really jumping to get the fly, heck they werent even making a splash, they would just suck it under, then gobble it up.[/size]

[size 1]CHECK IT OUT:[/size]

[font "Technical"][#0000a0][size 2]Watch the rings left by rising trout. Note if there are bubbles or not. This can indicate whether the fish is actually surfacing or if they are feeding just below the surface. If they are feeding just below the surface you will do better with an emerging pattern. If they are leaving a bubble on the surface of the water, use a dry on the surface.

If you can see fish in the water but they are not surfacing, watch their actions. If they move back and forth and you ocasionally see the white of their mouth they are feeding on nymphs floating in the current. If they are feeding right on the bottom they are probably keying on nymphs so try a hares ear or pheasant tail right at their level. If they are rising up off of the bottome and you see ther whites of their mouths as they open up to feed, they may be keying on emerging critters . . [/size][/#0000a0][/font]

[font "Technical"][size 2]this is from an excellent post by [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=plecopterahopper;"][font "Verdana"][size 1]plecopterahopper [/size][/font][/url], the wyoming mod . . [/size][/font]

[size 2][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=37231"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=37231[/url][/size]

[size 2]id like to hear your thoughts after reading that article . [/size]

[size 2]sm[/size]

[font "Technical"][size 2][/size][/font]

[font "Technical"][size 2]

[/size][/font]
[signature]
great report fishboy2
Getting wet feels alot better when you have caught a few fish already!
[signature]
well that is a good bit of info that i will have to keep in mind. I did fine tune my style so that i caught the fish, i just thought that other fisherman may be able to know how the fish were hitting. thanks SM
[signature]
amen to that Chef, But i did not get wet except for my toes, thankfully. But it had to look funny.
[signature]
so you caught all yours on dry flies right? did you try any emerging patterns or nymphs?

sm
[signature]
Fishboy , when the fishing slows for the drys , tie on a big wooly bugger and strip it . Sometimes they like it fast too ! I haven't fished the middle that much but this time of year they can go crazy for some big streamers .Maybe a muddler to imintate a sculpin . I use to fish he lower alot years ago and learned some things from the old timers back then . I,m mostly a nymph fisherman so I would fish them most of the time but I could adjust my weight and keep hookin fish with nymphs . Some of the deeper pools the fish would move up or down after getting tired of being hooked ( so I thought ) so I would add weight or remove to get to where they were . I use to hook 30 to 50 fish a day doing this . It helps to see them so you know they are feeding and have a idea what the are feeding on . I use to fish the streamers first in the morning . this is before the sun hits the water . then nymphs till about 1:00 and switch to drys if I had to and fished streamers after 4 or 5 pm . Tiny stuff is what has always work on the lower Provo . I hooked a 20"brown on a size 26 hook once on the lower Provo . and all it had on it was thread and and a tip of feather . Way to many people on there anymore for me to go except at night he he . I just remember telling this guy on the provo he shouldn't cross in that area and the next thing I seen was just a hat floating on the water . He managed to get back to shore but I think he broke his rod in the process .It was very hard to keep from laughing , but he could of drown in front of me . Keep hookin them and don't get you're feet wet . Tight lines
[signature]
nope I was on the surface only that day.
[signature]