Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard bay smallmouths????
[unsure] I have caught lots of smallmouths at willard bay in the summer when the water is warm and the air temps. are hot enough to bake your brain in my little aluminum boat. Does anyone catch any smallmouths early in the year and if so what and where do you use and go to catch them. In the past i have used 3" curly tails and 2 3/4" to 4" tube jigs. These have been the best producers for me but this has always been when the water temps. are pretty high. I know that the water is still cool but would like to try to catch some soon. Any info. would be great if i can help you please post here [Smile]THANKS
[signature]
Same, tubes and curl tails. In the early spring the only place I have caught them is near the inlet channel. Some years they hold tight on the bank in there.

The best day on willard for smallies was one day mid summer. It was raining like mad. We trolled about five feet off the north dike right up in the shallows. Non stop catching, we must have caught dang near a hundred smallies in just a few hours. You couldnt let your line out without getting another fish on. Filled the little boat with a couple inches of rain water, but the catching was too good to quit even though we were soaked. Pearl curl tails were the ticket.
[signature]
I've caught lots of smallies shore fishing of the west dyke, casting 3" white curlytails for wipers. I've even just dipped my jig in the water and accidentally pulled out a smallmouth.I think Willard Bay is some of the most over looked smallmouth fishing in the state!!-TIBBZZ-[sly]
[signature]
[Smile]hi TIBBZZ thanks for the info. and i was wondering what time of the year were you where catching those smallmouths.
[signature]
trfishin, It's usualy been a summer thing when I catch them left and right ,but they can be caught early in the year ,the action is just slower and spottyer. I would'nt plan on nocking them dead until it warms up a bit.-TIBBZZ-
[signature]