Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel speed question
[size 3]I am the dumb question designee for the week and here I go:

I notice on the baitcasting reels there are numbers like 6.2:1 and 5:1. I know it has to do with the speed of the reel or how much line it will retrive per turn but don't know which ones will be faster, the 6.2:1 or the 5:1?
Also what applications is a fast reel needed and the same for slow retrive?

I think the crackbaits will need to be fast and the worms should be slower, but "slow and fast" is relative too. Can you help me out?

Thanks[/size]
[signature]
The higher the ratio, the faster the speed and more feet per second you will cover with the reel.

On the other hand, the lower the ratio, the slower the speed but more torque can be achieved.

It's that simple.

Higher speed capabilities is more desireable for topwater action although you can reel faster (with the hand) on a lower ratio reel.
You can also turn the crank slower on the faster reel if needed for the stick baits.

Crankbaits will vary with the mood of the fish. Sometimes they like it faster and other times slower. Plastics are usually done on a slower mode for better results.

Your 6.2:1 will be 6.2 rotations of the spool and more inches of line retrived for every 1 turn of the crank. The 5:1 will be five turns of the spool and less line for every 1 turn of the crank.

Are you Confused yet??[cool]
[signature]
It sounds like you got the basic plan for reel speeds. "Crank a crank and turn a worm" was how it was put to me when I asked...many years ago [pirate]. There is no such thing as a dumb question, spinning reels vary in retrieval speeds as well but are usually slower like 5.2:1
[signature]
[reply]

Are you Confused yet??[cool] [/reply]

I am getting there[crazy][crazy]

Not really, but it is nice to get clarification on stuff. Thanks guys for the help.
[signature]
Usually you will want a lower geared reel, 5.1 or even 4.something, for cranks. Reason being, the lower geared reel makes it easier to crank a big bait and will allow a crank to reach it's max depth. The faster geared reels are better for retrieving your lure after a cast, say pitching a jig to a dock. The strike zone is very small, so you want to get the bait back fast to cast again. The faster geared reel is also good for fishing deep structure and keeping up with a fish that is burning to the surface. You can make modifications by adjusting the speed that you crank, but those are the reasons that you have different gearing. Currently, faster geared reels are the rage, 6 & 7's.
My experience with baitcasters is faster is better. I had a 5.2.1 shimano curado, I bought from Ebay. I didn't look at the ratio I only looked at the name. I usually get the 6.2.1. After using the reel all day I wanted to beat myself with it. You are limited to slow rolling baits with the slow 5.2.1. forget about throwing large buzzbaits. You have to retrieve like a madman to get the lure to surface half way back. You will get more use of the faster reel. YOU CAN ALWAYS REEL SLOWER with a fast reel.
[signature]
When you look at reel speed look at the size of the spool the line will be on, the bigger the spool the more line it will bring in on the turn of the handle to the spool...

If you have two reels one with a spool only half the size of the other but both have a speed of 6.1.1 and the line intake of the reel with the smaller spool is 15" per turn of the handle, and the other reel that has the bigger spool takes in 26" of line see where this goes..

In short look at line intake as well as reel speed,[crazy] You can always turn the handle slower to work the bait or lure with a high speed reel but its hard to reel faster with a low speed reel to work the bait or lure faster...
[signature]
I have to agree with the boys, I use a high ratio and just reel in slower. I hate to work hard fishing. Learn to feel your bait and what you want it to do. This time of year go slower than you think you should do.
[signature]