Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A big thank you to all from a new guy (kind of)
while things are still a little slow around here I wanted to say thank you to all of the members here. I joined this site over a year ago. Although my presence has been in the shadows, I have emailed TubeN2 about questions regarding the FC4 (thanks again Steve) and have come to this website daily to read reviews, look at other members pictures, fishing reviews that don't pertain to my region of the country and a wealth of knowledge about float tubes.

I started many years ago with a round Caddis tube with big thick neoprene waders and paddle pushers. I quit the tube'n business for about 5 years because of the amount of effort it took just to catch a fish. I bought a little Pelican two seater and the gear to go with it. As the years passed I found myself not enjoying my little two seater bass boat. Since it had been about 5 years on a tube I figured there had to be an advancement in technology regarding float tubes. In my search to find the perfect tube I found bigfishtackle.com, and I gotta tell you I was impressed, shocked and amazed at what you guy's and gal's were doing to your tubes.

If it where not for TubeDude's unbelievable amount of work that he put in to this site and knowledge, I probably wouldn't even of known what a "Fat Cat" was. When I was ready to purchase my next tube, I was "2 clicks" away from buying the Togiak tube from Cabelas website. Literally.

I ended up purchasing the FC4 for the price. I was amazed at the difference from the round tubes. But, I have already upgraded to the FatCat. Only because one hot summer day on the lake I heard a pppssssssss coming from my bladder on my FC4. I split the seam, returned my tube to Cableas (with no questions asked). My FatCat just arrived yesterday. I know it isn't the most glamorous picture (inflated tube in my living room) but at least it will give you guys something to look at while we are all waiting for the ice to melt.

So, thank you to ALL members of this site who have contributed and a special thank you to TubeDude for all of your hard work and knowledge that you have shared, and for converting a former tuber once lost in this world, back to a tube fisherman for good.

-Kurt
I think most of us have had our tubes in the living room at one time or another.[Wink] I know I have.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]I HAVEN'T! my living room isn't that big.[/size][/black][/font][cool]
[signature]
..I havent either.. my wife wont let me.. ...... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That's because your tubes and toons are all on steroids.[cool]
[signature]
...now that is funny..... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. We appreciate your appreciation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those pictures look a lot like what I was doing earlier in the day. Got a new SFC for myself and a regular new FC for TubeBabe. Just got through airing mine up for the first time and starting to work on some new "pimping" modifications. There have been a few basic design changes in the pockets, etc., since we bought our first ones several years ago.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you could see in the picture archives, I also piloted around some Caddis craft in my early years of tubing. It was really a revelation to get into an open ended craft for the first time. I am sure you will enjoy the Fat Cat much more than you would the Togiak.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stick around and let us know how you are putting everything together...or if you need any suggestions or ideas. We speak fluent PVC around here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for breaking the ice and I hope you are enjoying your FC. It sounds like you are having a good time with your equipent.

Please be sure to share any fishing pics that you may have. And be sure to use any of the ideas here for pimping your ride.[cool]
[signature]
I sleep with my tube...[blush]
[signature]
... just a curiosity .. but why did you go with the fat cat and not the fat cat lcs?

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
I didn't want the blow up seat, so I stayed with the foam like my old FC4. Also, I bought it for $225 and the shipping was free
[reply]
... just a curiosity .. but why did you go with the fat cat and not the fat cat lcs?

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif][/reply]
sounds like good reasoning to me... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I noticed the new 2008 models on the outcast website shows an adjustable height stripping apron and it's rigid. I don't know if that would be a good thing or not. I didn't even attach the apron on my FC4, I couldn't understand the concept. It's the same with my FC. The apron is so "flimsy" that it really has no purpose. If I were Outcast I would figure out how to improve the back rest if anything.

Has anyone seen the new FC's with the rigid apron up close and personal? I'm curious as to how it is fastened to the sides of the tubes.
[signature]
ok, heres a question: did I install the foam seats right? the two pieces would form a "seam" in the middle width wise right? not length wise.
[signature]
..I am not sure on the apron either.. but then again it looks to have rigid sides.. which should make it more usable.. but.. what I see as a possible problem is the adjustable height.. the idea may be good but how easy would it be to use.. especially getting in and out of it with fins on..

.. as for the seat.. I have seen a lot of pros and cons on the foam seat vs the inflatable ones.. what draws me to the 2008 lcs model is its color.. I like the idea of being very visible on the water.. especially in a still water environment where there are boaters going back and forth on the water..

MacFly [Smile]
[signature]
I wasn't "too'' uncomfortable on my FC4 with the foam seat. Although after about 5 hours of fishing, the "cheek's" did become a little unresponsive. But, In my opinion, 5 hours of straight fishing is better than fixing a flat seat or worse ruining your fishing trip because of a flat seat and an inflated tube.....

I also think that if one were to look hard enough they could find some sort of "blow-up" material that you could slip on top of the foam seat...My personal experience with the FC4 was backrest problems and I'm only 5'-11'' and 195lbs.

I don't really have to worry about color, because I fish ponds that don't have the big power boats....mostly john boats and two seater's.
[signature]
[black][size 3]"ok, heres a question: did I install the foam seats right? the two pieces would form a "seam" in the middle width wise right? not length wise. "[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Actually the foam is supposed to go the other way. Each piece of foam should be pushing againts the sides of the tubes and not be facing the front nor rear.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I still have my FC4 going on 4 1/2 years now. It is kind of tricky to get the foam pieces in the seat but they do fit without any cutting or shaping.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There are some now modifications on the SFC as well as the FC. TubeDude can fill you in on what they did. He just purchased the new 08 models.[cool][/size]
[signature]
Yeah, thats the way the instructions showed too. I don't remember my former FC4 giving me that much grief when in installed the foam seats. These Foam seats are Giants compared to the little guy. Thanks for the reply tubeN2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nope. We bought closeout 2007's. Last year for urethane bladders.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, I got the SFC...with inflated seats. TubeBabe got the regular FC with foam seats. Claims she likes them best.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We also bought a big piece of high density 4" thick foam and cut pieces to fit on top of the seats. Helps add cushion, even though it soaks up a lot of water. You need to wring them out when you quit fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Foam stadium seats are also popular with some tubers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well I went to the Idaho Sportsmans Show yesterday and one of the booths had fish cat 4 for 99.00 so I got one, it's even pumkin in color and inflated in our living room ask I type. My wife said I can pull her around in it when I go out in my toon and i can use it for when I need to get to water that ya need to walk to, (I'll build the shoulder straps).
I can now use my U-tube for guest or whatever and be cruisen in style when I go tubin[Smile]
[signature]