Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about a swim bait
I've recently bought several 6 inch reaction swim baits. When I tried them out on the lake all I had was a 3/0 weighted hook and they spun instead of swimming. Any tips? Thanks alot.
[signature]
Were they the Fathead Jr's? That happened to me as well, I adjusted the hook to make sure it was in the center of the body as it was coming in and out. A twitch, twitch reel retrieve instead of a steady retrieve will keep it from spinning, usually.
[signature]
I also had questions about swim baits. I am giving them a shot this year for the first time. What is the best rig for them? I've seen alot of weighted hooks being used or even weightless rigs. Any season better than others? Do they work on spawning beds? Any info on them would be great.
[signature]
Depending on the size of the swimbait you use, you can adjust the necessary weight to keep the swimbait down in the water or even creat some nuetral bouyancy.

You can even carolina rig certain ones. The FishTrap Blams work well for the Carolina or the Texas rig. The normal kick tail ones work best with the weighted lead heads

Here are some general guidlines for leadheads on the Big Hammers or Fish Traps with the kick tail.

3" = 1/4 - 3/8oz lead head
4" = 3/8 - 1/2oz lead head
5" = 1/2 - 3/4oz lead head
6" = 3/4 - 1oz lead head
[signature]