Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FORCE FIN FARCE
[cool]Okay, folks. Here 'tis. My review of the float tubing model of the famous Force Fins. All I have to say is that anyone who claims these are the best, has probably never tried many other types. Sorry, but after conducting an on-the-water test with them last night, I am of the opinion that their "unique" shape is designed more to catch fishermen than fish.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1566064.jpg]

To begin with, the arrangement of straps and buckles and "comfort inserts", on such a small fin, is intimidating. It almost requires an engineering degree to figure out how to get them on without hogtieing yourself. And, in spite of spending about fifteen minutes per fin the night before, setting them up for the first use, I still needed another ten minutes getting them on, before launching.

These fins are not for old fat guys with constricting waders and a hinky back (like myself). By the time I got them buckled, I was puffing and had trouble standing up straight. As you can see on my Mares Plana fins, there is a simple, easily-adjustable heel strap. You just step in, strap up and go.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1487888.jpg]

The real test, of course, is how do they work for propulsion. I suspected I was not going to be happy with them as soon as I sat back in my craft and started kicking. In addition to feeling like I had a piece of plywood strapped loosely under my foot, I felt hardly any resistance (propulsion) at all on the kick stroke...and nothing at all on the down stroke. In short, I had to kick twice as hard to get the same propulsion I had come to experience with my trusty old Planas.

As you can see in the pic above, the total thrust area of the fins is small, by comparison. Plus, the total conversion of kicking energy is more efficient with the foot pocket models, where you can apply your total foot...toes, ankle, etc...to the power strokes...both on the upkick and the downkick.

When I launched, there was hardly any breeze at all. Within a few minutes of joining Tube Babe (who had already been fishing for 15 minutes), the wind kicked up a bit and I found myself having difficulty both maneuvering and in holding position for casting. When a series of strong gusts began pushing me around uncontrollably, and my Force Fins felt like they were loosening on my feet, I had enough. Thankfully, the wind was blowing directly onshore, so I just turned around and gave the wind a little assistance with the floppy fins.

I wrestled my feet out of the test models and took them back to the car, where I exchanged them for my proven Planas. This time when I launched, I had both fins installed and was launched within a minute of getting back to my tube. As I powered my way back out to the fishing zone, leaving a respectable wake with the heavy thrust of the Planas, I was already scheming of how I could dispose of the Force Fins, and who might be gullible enough to pay something for them.

Any masochists out there who might want some Force Fins. Used only once. Cheap. The "Force" will never be with me...again.
[signature]
Thanks Tube I was thinking of getting a pair of them for FB2. When I looked at them the sales rep said they were the best. I asked if he used them and he said no he didn't tube. So I waited on the purchase. Thought I would go back and talk to the tubing expert there. Well now i will just wait until he say he needs some new ones. He seems to be getting around just fine. At least this old fart has trouble keeping up. BTW good review I think I got all I needed out of that.
[signature]
[cool]Those black fins I sent FB2 are IDI Frogfoots. They were some of the best made when I got them, and they powered me around many Utah ponds...and some Sea of Cortez and Arizona too, before I discovered the Mares Plana fins.

Here's a link to the Mares home page. You can find their fins in almost any dive shop, and there are always online specials if you look for skin diving outlets. They can be competitive. [url "http://www.divernet.com/blandfrd/mares/fins.htm"]http://www.divernet.com/blandfrd/mares/fins.htm[/url]

I use the Power Plana and Tube Babe wears the Plana Avanti. I paid around $80 for mine in 1985 and they are about the same price today. You don't find many things that have maintained their prices that long. You also don't find any kind of outdoor equipment that holds up that long, with as much use as I have given them either.

After almost 20 years...fresh water and salt...I am still using the original straps on my Planas. The soft rubber channels between the harder "Tecralene" blades are developing cracks, but there has been no noticeable decline in power or performance...at least in the fins. MY power and performance ain't what they were that long ago, but that is another issue.
[signature]
Thanks for the review Tube Dude - some practical experience sure sheds a lot of light on the situation. Not being able stay in control in a moderate breeze sure says a lot about what the fins can (and cannot) do. I think I'll keep my wallet in my pocket on this one.
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Thanks for the heads up. Strange that so many of my tube buddies were singing their praises. Glad I'm stubborn and like my Caddis in-shoe model. I have always had very powerful legs and 8 years of running two club marathons a weekend besides 10 miles a day must of helped my flipping power.

The model of force fins looked much shorter than ones I have see on my friends. There might be something there I don't know. At first I thought you were making a joke and had to smallish bat rays shipped to you and they had dried up just enought to start to curl. Naw, you wouldn't do that to a poor innocent little friendly batray.

Honest, they looked shorter than the ones I've seen. I don't guess they could be body surfing model flippers?????
Of course, I believe every word of your review.

JapanRon
[signature]
[unsure]Why couldn't I have read this 5 years ago so I would not own them . I think I paid 130.00 for them . I have the cheap Caddis fins with the shoe strings and also a pair of the Browning fins . I like the Browning fins , but when I wear my neoprene boots my toes feel crammed up . I like the force fins because they don't have a toe cover . How are the Mares for comfort in the toes ? Like I need another set of fins . How do I get this past the wifey ? He He tight lines
[signature]
hey tubedude where can I pick me up a pair of those booties you showed in the first pic, i think that would be a lot better for around the rockyshores, than with just my waders.
[signature]
[Smile]Tubedude,

I have a simular product review on my site as well! Pretty close to what you said!![Wink]

[font "Courier"][#ffffff][size 2] [/size][/#ffffff][/font] [size 6]FORCE FINS[/size]

[font "Courier, helvetica, verdana"][size 1]ADJUSTABLE FORCE FINS[/size][/font] [Image: blank.gif] [Image: blank.gif] [url "http://pages.zdnet.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://pages.zdnet.com/baytuber/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/PHOTO1954.jpg&target=tlx_new&title=ADJUSTABLE FORCE FINS"][#ffffff][Image: PHOTO1954.jpg.w300h225.jpg][/#ffffff][/url] [Image: blank.gif] [Image: blank.gif]

[font "Courier, helvetica, verdana"][#ffffff][size 2] [#000000]Force Fins, are they really worth the money? First of all I like how easy it is to put on. Just put your foot in and pull the adjustable strap and your ready. As for speed using the Force Fins, I couldn't really tell the difference from the big heavy divers fins I usually use. Seems like in windy conditions the Force Fins are weak where the divers fins are more powerful. I bought my Force Fins at Sport Chalet for $99.99 plus tax. The only thing I really liked about them was that they were light and easy to put on and take off and that I could wear my Walmart special $6.00 booties with them. LOL. [/#000000][/size][/#ffffff][/font]

[font "Courier, helvetica, verdana"][size 1]FORCE FINS ON THE RIGHT AND MY DIVERS FINS ON LEFT[/size][/font] [Image: blank.gif] [Image: blank.gif] [url "http://pages.zdnet.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://pages.zdnet.com/baytuber/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/PHOTO1952.jpg&target=tlx_new&title=FORCE FINS ON THE RIGHT AND MY DIVERS FINS ON LEFT"][#ffffff][Image: PHOTO1952.jpg.w300h225.jpg][/#ffffff][/url] [Image: blank.gif] [Image: blank.gif]

[font "Courier, helvetica, verdana"][#ffffff][size 2] [#000000]THE FORCE FINS WERE ALSO SMALLER THAN MY DIVERS FINS. WHICH I BELIEVE IS WHY THE DIVERS FINS MOVE JUST AS GOOD AS THE FORCE FINS. REALLY, YOU CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE. AT LEAST I COULDN'T. [/#000000][/size][/#ffffff][/font]

[font "Courier, helvetica, verdana"][size 1]SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN SIZES[/size][/font] [Image: blank.gif] [Image: blank.gif] [url "http://pages.zdnet.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://pages.zdnet.com/baytuber/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/PHOTO1955.jpg&target=tlx_new&title=SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN SIZES"][#ffffff][Image: PHOTO1955.jpg.w300h225.jpg][/#ffffff][/url] [Image: blank.gif] [Image: blank.gif] [font "Courier, helvetica, verdana"][size 1]BUT WITH THESE FORCE FINS I COULD WEAR MY WATER SHOES[/size][/font]

[font "Courier, helvetica, verdana"][#ffffff][size 2] [#000000]AS YOU CAN SEE, THE FORCE FINS ARE KIND OF SMALLER THAN THE DIVERS FINS. ALSO, SEE THE ADJUSTABLE STRAPS FOR PUTTING ON AND TAKING OFF EASY. JUST PUT YOUR FEET IN AND PULL THE STRAP AND YOUR READY.[/#000000] [#000000] [/#000000] [#000000]OVER ALL I RATE THE FORCE FINS AN 8. WHY? I WASN'T REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE SPEED. I COULDN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE FROM THE DIVERS FINS WHICH I HAVE BEEN USING FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS. AND IN WINDY CONDITIONS THE DIVERS FINS SEEM TO HAVE MORE POWER. I AM GOING TO KEEP USING THE FORCE FINS FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND GO BACK TO THE DIVERS FINS FOR ANOTHER COMPARISON.[/#000000] [#000000] [/#000000] [#000000]DO I RECOMMEND FORCE FINS? I BELIEVE THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE FOR LESS MONEY. FORCE FINS ARE GOOD FINS FOR TUBING DON'T GET ME WRONG BUT I BELIEVE THERE ARE SOME DIVERS FINS OUT THERE THAT CAN DO JUST AS GOOD A JOB MAYBE EVEN BETTER FOR A LOT LESS MONEY. [/#000000] [#000000][/#000000] [#000000]TubeDude,[/#000000] [#000000]It looks like we have different styles? [/#000000][/size][/#ffffff][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Here again, Ill attempt to answer several questions. To reiterate, I did not purposely go shopping for fins and settle on those Force Fins. I got them in a package purchase from the estate of a gentleman who bought a bunch of stuff and then deveoped an illness before being able to use it. The model Force Fins I got were the "rope and pulley" models. As you can see in visiting the Force Fin website, and several divers' outlets, there are a whole bunch of different sizes, colors and styles. I have no doubt that one with a foot pocket and adjustable stretch heel straps would have performed closer to my diving fins. I am always one for simplifying where I can, and the complicated straps and buckles setup was an immediate turnoff. I am sure there are many happy owners of Force Fins, in various configurations, that are happy with their choices. And, if I were to do another evaluation, it would be with something more along the lines of a regular diving fin.

The "Flats Boots" in the pic are available in most dive shops. I got those (Redhead...size 13) from Bass Pro for $29.99. I use them more for fishing wet in the summer than over waders. You can also use recycled tennies, wading shoes, or even the inexpensive little nylon hard-soled "reef runners" sold in most discount houses. Just be sure you get them large enough to accomodate all that you have to stuff into them.

On the Plana foot pocket. It is soft rubber, and was the solution I had been seeking to foot constriction in harder pocket fins. In cold water, with a lot of layers, your foot can become constricted and shut off the warming flow of blood to your tootsies. This negates all the layers of warm wool socks and your feet get cold or numb. You have to get out and do the tubers' stomp.

I wear a size 13 shoe. The X-Large Plana fins accomodate foot, socks and neoprene wader during cool months. In the summer, they easily accomodate the hard-soled flats boot, under which I usually wear one or two layers of socks for cushioning, more than warmth. If you do not wear at least one pair of socks, you are more likely to develop blisters on the wear points of your feet during a long day of kicking.

A major point to make is that foot comfort is critical for enjoyable tubing. If your feet are cramped, cold or blistered, you can't truly enjoy your tubing experience. Correction is a simple matter of planning ahead and buying gear that is large enough...and then making sure all of your adjustments are right when you hit the water. And...if you start to develop a problem with fit or comfort, kick into shore and make the adjustments. It will only get worse instead of better, if you don't.

PS...to HA69. Can't help you with the "creative budget negotiations" with the wife. However, in a two-tube family, like mine, I have it a bit easier. All I have to do is promise I will get the same for Tube Babe if I can get one for myself. Sure raises heck with the food budget, though. You ever tried to cook an old pair of waders long enough to make them tender...just because you bought new ones and there wasn't any money left for groceries?
[signature]
[cool]Thanks, Kiyo. Good report. I would hate to be a newbie, faced with all the decisions on what to buy and how much to spend. I'm sure our efforts will help give people at least an idea of the important factors to consider in making their final decisions.

If I had the benefit of good reporting over the years, I could have saved enough to buy a car with all the money I have invested in "R & D". Well, maybe at least a bicycle. But then again, some of today's bicycles cost more than cars used to. That's another issue.
[signature]
Like 69 here I got a pair of browning's with the csemi clear fin. They do kinda cram your toes with a shoe or boot on but I found I just take my shoes off and fins on right before I hit the water and just keep my shoe in my headrest. and I love them.
[signature]
Whazup Meloe!![laugh][laugh][laugh]

OBZ is in the house![laugh][laugh] Congrats on your legal today!
[signature]
[cool]I will not challenge your opinion. I have already issued the disclaimer that I know there are tubers who like whatever models of force fins they are using. There are quite a few different designs for the foot pocket and heel strap. My test was limited to the "Float Tubers" model, as picured below, from the Force Fin werbsite.

[Image: adjustfloat282.jpg]

I suspect that if the fin is possible to get adjusted so that it fits tightly, it would work OKAY...for some people. However, I conducted side by side (one after the other) tests, agains my Plana Avanti's, and there was no comparison in power. I would challenge anyone who likes force fins to a race...short or long distance...with me wearing my Planas. When I have had my Wheaties (and Geritol) for breakfast, I have never had anyone wearing any other fins who could keep up with me.

As always, whatever works for you is what you should be using. If nothing else, you become comfortable with it and can fish better, by being able to focus on fishing and not on your gear.

By the way, MELOE, how about registering and hanging out with us once in awhile. You sound like a knowledgeable tuber and we would value your contributions.
[signature]
LOL....you've been banned.... Just kidding

Minh
[signature]