Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAT CATS FROM A FAT CAT
[cool]While I was "float-testing" my new Eagle Cuda 168 sonar system, and my "Farce" Fins, Tube Babe was making her inaugural fishing trip in her new Fat Cat. I will let her post her own observations on how she liked it, compared to all of the "donuts" we have gone through, and the Kennebec she just retired.

I have to preface this pictorial saga with the note that when she first started tubing with me, about 25 years ago, she wouldn't touch a catfish. I always had to do the macho man thing and remove her fish when she caught a kitty. She soon graduated to holding them with a thick towel, as she removed hooks and otherwise handled them. I didn't need to stay as close by after that.

Now, as you can see in the pics, she is a "cat-woman" of the first order. We fish mostly with light tackle...4# and 6# line, small jigs and light rods. I never have to watch her, or listen to the walkie talkies we take out with us for communication. I just listen for the "high C"...for catfish.

Last night, on Saguaro Lake, near Phoenix, she beat my butt. I lost one big cat that wrapped me around an underwater hazard. She also lost one big one, but landed three others...21"/3.8#...29"/8.5#...and her personal best from Saguaro on light tackle, a 27"/10.5# chunky kitty...from her new Fat Cat.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9320;]

THE BATTLE IS ON

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9321;]

THE LONG SLIM MALE 8.5# KITTY

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9322;]

THE 10.5# FAT CAT FROM THE FAT CAT

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9323;]

THE RESULTS OF TUBE BABE'S FIRST FLOAT IN HER NEW CRAFT

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9324;]

I STILL GET TO DO THE "BUTCHERIN'". 10.5# OF CANTANKEROUS CAT

Oh yeah, just for the record, I did end up with a dozen nice fat yellow bass. I might even share some of the scampi style fillets with Tube Babe, for allowing me to fillet her catfish.
[signature]
[Wink][size 4]they look like a nice catch! my biggest cat was a 6lber from a derby at wilderness park 2 years ago. well i cant wait to float santa anna this thursday for those nice trout. hopefully i'lll get my biggest trout thusday.[unsure] but then you did get a good catch! i saw those sonars and if i make enough money this year i'll buy one. thanks for the report![/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4]-chris[/size]
[signature]
You are a lucky man tubedude, that looks like a great time!

What kind of cats were they?
[signature]
[cool]Hey, chef. Those are good old all-American channel cats.

I am also a chef. Got some good recipes for catfish...including "Kitty Krispies"...small fingers cut from big fillets, lightly coated and cooked crisp in peanut oil. Dipped in your choice of dipping sauce...barbecue, sweet and sour, honey-mustard, tartar, etc. Good stuff.

I also smoke some chunks from the big fillets. After basic smoking, I oven dry them to a consistency just slightly moister than jerky. Thin sliced on a tray with cheese and crackers...and the appropriate libation...and you got yourself a snack/meal.
[signature]
Hey Tube looks like you two had a great time on the water. Congrats on the bass! Maybe Tube babe will teach ya how to fish for those kittys <grins>. So ya better treat her nice!
[signature]
[Smile]My first experience with the Fat Cat was everything I could have hoped for! Of course, TubeDude had been using his for a while, so I had a pretty good idea what to expect. The single, most positive feature is having the two large pockets in which to keep the many things necessary for a thoroughly enjoyable day on the water. Secondly, having the stability of the rigid seat riding up so much higher on the water is definitely a step up. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the smaller, shorter apron and the way it is attached to the craft. But, I bet with a little brain power and the help of TubeDude, we can make a few modifications that will greatly enhance it's utility. We have added a sturdy web belt to the underside of the craft that allows us to be able to carry it having the belt fit over our foreheads (like a backpack tumpline). The fact that I had the opportunity to check it out by catching the three different sized cats (and a couple of yellow bass), makes me want to get back out right away. I just hope that "Dude" doesn't go out and catch all the big ones while I'm away visiting family this weekend!
[signature]
Alright Babe you have just convinced me to go buy one now. I was looking at one one the other day at the Gallyen's store. Are they worth the price or should I just wait and look for a used? Thanks for you info guys
[signature]
Hey Chef Tubedude,

I have smoked alot of fish, but never catfish. What marinade do you use, what kind of wood chips, etc. I will take all the recipes you will give me!

thanks
[signature]
When Dude bought his we looked at the Fat Cat ($299) for me but decided to wait until he had a chance to field test it. I think the one that I have is an older model of the Super Fat Cat because it has the hard foam seat rather than the air chamber that is on Dude's model. Buying it (hardly) used definitely made it a better deal than buying new ($369). Checking Cabela's website there is a "Fish Cat 4" float tube for only $139 ... sounds good ... Dude may have some ideas on that. If you have the time ... checking for used might be the way to go (i.e. ebay, etc.) or at least justify your ultimate decision!
[signature]
[Wink][size 4]nice report tubebabe! keep those reports coming![/size]

[size 4][/size]

[size 4]-chris[/size]
[signature]
[cool]I hate to take all the fun out of smoking for ya, but I don't do marinades anymore. Many long years ago in California, while working as a semi-guide for a steelhead/salmon outfitter, I picked up on the QUIK-N-EZ smoking system. Some of the clients would come in with fish they wanted to take back smoked, but did not have time to wait for the brining, slow smoking etc. Old Al Kutskey...a legend in Northern California (long since gone to the "happy fishing grounds"...had a system for turning out great smoked fish overnight. I have adapted it to other species, and it works especially well for catfish.

1. Cut large fillets into chunks no more than an inch thick...or wide.

2. Spread them on paper towels and pat the upper surface dry with another paper towel.

3. Sprinkle a fair amount of kosher salt (not iodized table salt) all over the surface of the fillets.

4. Follow with a similar layer of sugar. Regular white sugar will do, but brown sugar adds flavor.

5. I like spicy. I have a mix of 3 parts black pepper, 1 part cayenne pepper, 1 part garlic powder, 1 part cumin and 1 part Mexican oregano. Increase the cayenne pepper if you like fire. (Goes great on meats and other foods too). Season to taste.

6. Allow to set for an hour or so at room temperature. The sugar and salt will draw moisture out of the fish and form a glaze on the fillets.

7. Slow smoke 4 to 6 hours, to infuse the fish with the smoke and cook the flesh. It will still be soft if your smoker is not set too high. I use a little chief and I like to "hot smoke" them for a shorter period.

8. When there is a good smoky glaze on the almost done fillets, remove them to an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet in the oven. Slow bake at 175 degrees until they dry to a semi-jerky consistency.

NOTE: Proper "brining" should be done whenever you want to effectively "cure" the fish, as well as smoking it. The salt helps preserve it longer. I smoke batches that do not last too long anyway. If I don't eat it, I usually have plenty of help. My "buds" are used to sniffing as they walk in. If they smell smoked fish, my supply gets reduced before they leave. It will hold up a couple of weeks in the refrigerator...if it lasts that long.

ALSO: The type of wood you use makes a big difference in the end product. I have experimented with just about everything you can imagine. As long as you don't use wood with too much resin (bitter), you can at least eat the fish. I have come to prefer hickory for most smoked fish...especially trout, salmon and whitefish. I also like hickory for cats, but have turned out a couple of outstanding batches using the mesquite chips I usually use on beef and pork. Apple and cherry are popular with many smokers, and they do put out a good product. Aspen is also used, but not to my liking. Don't even think about pine, unless you like the taste of turpentine.

The one distinguishing characteristic of catfish...especially the big ones...are that they take a lot of cooking to finish them off. In the fryer, you have to leave them until the moisture content is reduced and the pieces give a final little shrink. In the smoker, same thing. Don't serve underdone catfish, or you will notice a distinct catfish flavor. Fully cooked, it is good. Underdone, it is objectionable to some, and the reason why a lot of people who have tried catfish do not like it.

Hey, Chef, send me a PM or an email and I will send you back some of my original recipes. By the way, I published a book in 1983..."FETCHIN' AND FIXIN THE FISHES OF UTAH"...as an aid to the Utah anglers who were just starting to discover that you could eat fish that didn't have spots and pink stripes. Long since out of print. I bought both of the copies sold.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Fearful Hal. From what I can tell, the Fish Cat 4 would be a good buy, and should provide all of the features and advantages of the pricier models. The main difference is in the two vinyl air chambers, instead of one butyl air chamber. That, and the fact they use Boston valves instead of the Halkey Roberts valves. I had never been exposed to the latter, but man are they great. The craft airs up quickly with the dual action pump, and when it's time to go home, you push on the valve release and whoooosh. The big valve dumps air in a hurry.

I did not think Outcast allowed dealers to "wheel and deal". I had always seen them at the same prices. But, I just checked in on one of my reference dealer sites and found some special prices. Here is the link. Look at the specs on the different craft and decide for yourself. [url "http://www.outdrs.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=250"]http://www.outdrs.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=250[/url]
[signature]
I recently purchased a little chief smoker from a garage sale for 5 bucks! It had everything, the racks, electric hotplate, and they even included a bag of Hickory chips. I have smoked a few trout and whitefish lately and they have came out pretty good. I usually use a simple soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper flake marinade. If you let it soak for to long though it overwhelms the natural fish flavor. Last night I smoked about two pounds of Kosher Salt and 1 pound of sea salt. It turned out fantastic. I had seen smoked salts around but they were pretty pricey. I have a couple of nice catfish filets at home right now. I will try out your method and let you know how everything comes out!

thanks
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like you scored at the garage sale. That's a great price, and they do turn out some good smoked goodies. The key is to keep them in an an area where there is not too much cold wind blowing around them. On cold windy days you might wanna set them up in your fireplace...with the damper open. I put mine in a protected corner sometimes. And if you cover the smoke hole a little on the top, that helps keep the heat in for fast smoking too.

I'm attaching a pic of the cover of the book I did.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1629062.jpg]

Good luck on the great kittyfish smokeout. How about sending me some in a PM? Nah, then my computer would smell like smoked fish.
[signature]