Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Knots
True that! That's always a big factor. The Turle allows me to be lazy too[sly]. I'll have to try the Davy out a little now.

I posted about the turle because I thought it looked like the Davy. The difference is the last step pretty much. Instead of an overhand knot to finish it, the Davy goes back and the knot clinches on its self when tightened. In the turle knot, I wonder if the overhand knot around the line creates a stress concentration that causes it to be weak. Just my engineering mind wandering....

I wonder if CU would allow an Alum back into the lab to use the Instron to do some more testing?[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][#008000][size 4]My method of bench testing a knot lacks the sophistication of all the lab goodies that were at your disposal. I use an old lab scale conducting a pull test. Hardly very accurate. Perhaps if I placed the hook in a vise and the line to my bumper then I could monitor the odometer to determine at what speed my wheels began to spin. LOL The latter comment was for my good buddy MacFly. He expects statements like that from me. Ooops - just realized it is 1600 and I can hear the martini calling my name.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
if its already 1600 you are running late.. shame on you DR... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]No, no, no - I posted at 1602 hours. Well I was just two minutes late. Heck I'm retired so who is watching the clock.[Wink]So mi amigo what is your favorite go to knot?[Image: fish-on.gif][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I have a comment on the Turle knot as opposed to the Davy knot.

Turl knot is tied around the shank of the hook.
As the fish pulls hard, the top loop of the line slides up the hook to the place where the end of the wire loop rejoins the shank.

If that junction is even a little bit open, at the place where the loop is formed back to the shank of the hook, that line part of the knot can slide up against the end of the hook wire and will be cut!

That comes from the experiences tying Salmon Leaders. We used a series of turns around the shank to protect the pulling line from that clumsy, sharp, obnoxious junction.

I'll get some line soon and practice that Davy knot.
[signature]
anyone that I can tie comfortably... hehehe .. seriously.. I use the clinch knot the most.. with my little tool that sis yelled at me about makes it an easy one to tie... but the trick she described is something I will have to practice and see how that goes.. .....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]