Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knot tyers?
Hello all,
I'm looking over flygoddess' post on knots, and another question comes to mind. Getting old and gray is a drag, but the worst of it is my downhill slide in tying knots (the eyes and fingers don't work like I think they ought to). Any of you having the same trouble?
Anyway, I've seen some knot tying tools out there. Does anyone have a recommendation?

P.S. Don't say to just have my kid do it for me, I've already tried that.[Wink]
[signature]
Good question and thanks for being here.

There are several others in our forum here that may be going through the same hinderances.

I know a few people that use bifocal glasses or even fold down eye loops to overcome the sight restrictions that the eyes may encounter.

Have you experimented with any of those types of devices?? Give it a try and please share with us any comments or questions that you may have.[cool]
[signature]
... I cant suggest anything for the eyes since I wear progressive bifocal glasses when I go fishing.. lol.. but for the knots I use a tool my brother in law said was invaluable and that I should get one.... it is called the [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=22913&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults"]cinch tool knot tyer[/url]... I dont go fishing without it..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Hi there jbaldwinblkft and thanks for stopping by and your post. As a senior citizen I hear you loud and clear. Tying knots while wading in the bright sun can be a real b*t*h. Polaroid glasses is a must to reduce the glare. Clip ons or other types of magnifiers are extremely helpful for visually challanged fisher people. A while back FGD suggested the use of a magnetic fly threader. Best damn $10 investment I ever made. First time on the water I threaded a #20 in just two trys. If I didn't have that threader I would still be out there grouping for the eye of that 20. Several suppliers carry that or similar products. I purchased mine on-line from BassPro.

[center]

[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=33983;]

[signature]
FG's having trouble latley. Mojo keeps getting away after she ties him up so her knots aren't trustworthy
[signature]
Hey, thanks for the tip!
I've seen those threaders in various places, and at the time I wondered how well they would work. Sometimes you see something like that and wonder if it's more of a gimmick than something really useful. That's the biggest reason I like this forum, because someone else has already done some of the trial and error and is willing to share his/her success. It takes all the pressure off.[cool]
[signature]
Oh the irony. I'm not trying to be mean here and apologize now if it comes off that way! But a thread about how to better see small things better and the picture you provided is tiny! Just an observation that I couldn't not point out. Added a little laughter to an otherwise mundane work day. [Tongue]
[signature]
sorry sis.. but I gots to say this one was funny.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Hey there hartz - thought about the size of the pic being kind of small and you are correct. Here the discussion is about those of us that have trouble seeing a tiny eye and I include a picture that itself was tiny. [blush] Note that I have made the correction in the above post. LOL[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
hey I saw that picture fine with my glasses on.. under a magnifying lens.. and with the computer settings to the largest ... [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Now that we can all see the photo, here's my next question.
What's the fly the guy is putting on?
[signature]
pt nymph
[signature]
haha. just razzing ya Dryrod. With the amount of info/insight you provide, I think we can let this one it slide[Wink].

And jbaldwinblkft, I think I can even tell what kind of fly it is! Copper john right?
[signature]
..I stand corrected.. looking again Id have to agree with the copper john id.. course then.. I dont know much.. lol..

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
Yeah maybe, one with a yellow belly.[blush]
[signature]
Thanks Dry Rod for coming to the post. Working this weekend so don't check as often,

This tool is one of the best things I have bought, even #32's! I also use the flip downs either glasses or cap, but this too has made it less flipping!
I think I put the knots post in the technics section, but I can't remember [laugh]
[signature]