Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humminbird 797c2I combo NVB
Well, after seeing this thing first hand at a demo recently, I have decided to get one, since my wife wanted her own anyway. She'll get my PiranahMax.
I first took notice of this unit about four months ago and since have been reading every preview, interview and shred of info I could find on it.
But after seeing this thing work first hand in real life ... I'm sold.
The wife has also hinted at getting two 36lb Minn Kota (I swear she was the one who dropped the hint) motors for some of the bigger lakes we intend fishing - particularly Lake Powell.
At this show we went to she also insisted on some other cool stuff which I had thought about but never mentioned.
Looks like it's going to be a veerry good year!

-ABT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Congrats, Trevor, you seem to have Wifey trained very well. Hey Nicole, you're the greatest.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looking forward to your review of the new "underwater eyes". They are really coming out with new technology every year. It is difficult to keep up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you plan on tooning Powell, with an electric motor, you should plan to bring a long a separate toon loaded with the biggest deep cycle batteries you can find. Either that or make yourself a super big sunshade awning with photovoltaic cells on the top, for recharging. Then again, that may not be a good idea. When the wind comes up at Powell it could sail you all the way back to New York, without allowing a "necessary" stop in Kansas City.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now does this system have the side view imaging that I have seen?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't know. You should have replied to ABT.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes side scan.
[signature]
Yes it does. Check out the site:
[url "http://store.humminbird.com/ccombo-ccombo700.html"]http://store.humminbird.com/ccombo-ccombo700.html[/url]

-ABT
[signature]
When you eventually get that 797 out in the tube, would you mind taking a couple of screenshots, and post them here?

I have been thinking of getting one.

The 2 things that stopped me from doing it already were the power consumption vs smaller batteries in the tube .... and the effect the leg movement and finning movements will have on the side imaging display. So a screenshot would be worth a thousand words.
[signature]
Hey Norm

No worries, I will do so and also expect a full report to accompany them.... [Wink]

-ABT
[signature]
That will be great! Thx.
[signature]
I think that will be so much fun to have[Wink] Wish my budget could swing it.[crazy]
[signature]
I don't think power will be that big of a problem. I have the Humminbird 575. Side scan but not color. I haven't had it out on my tube yet but a 12volt 4.5ah battery powers it all day on the ice with plenty of juice to spare. I don't think the color would add that much drain on it.

Can't wait to use it on the tube.
[signature]
It was delivered on Tuesday![cool]
Playing with it in sim mode has demonstrated one key factor already: despite the large menu selection available, it is incredibly easy to learn and navigate. So far so good. I can't wait to use it on the water ....

-ABT
[signature]
You will just love it. Do you have the mapping chip ? We used it last weekend on the Colorado River below Hoover Dam, such clarity on the mapping is great. Real good picture of the area around the boat, we could cover the river from one side too the other. Easy to learn and use.
[signature]
The resolution and pictures are great, have not seen a unit that out performs this baby.
[signature]
Norm,

Were you the fellow who posted info on running a fishfinder off an 8 pack of "AA" batteries. I just wired up some of my rechargeables in a battery pack i got from Radio Shack (now "The Source" here in
Canada)

None of the combinations of batteries I have were powerful enough to keep my unit from "beeping" (low battery warning).
Do I need to have all 2500 amp rechargeables to make this work? Only 2 of my existing batteries have that kind of amperage. Can you get even more powerful rechargables? How much power do good quality disposable batteries put out? I would really like to make this work if possible . The portability and weight savings would be very significant.
God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Way beyond my budget too! if I could afford a unit like that for my tube I'd probably have to get one of those Nascar type fishing shirts and start my own tournament tube-fishing circuit. Next would come the T.V. show where I would invite all you guys to share your expertise as my weekly guests.
God Bless,
Don[Image: croft33.gif]
[signature]
Hi Don
That was me.
You will need 10 (not 8) nimh cells in the pack to get the 12 volts the sonar wants.
The current drain is between 0.5 amps and 0.75 amps for sonar units up to 1500W peak-to-peak with the backlight on.

Generally the "fat cells" (high discharge) are tougher and the "skinny cells" (high capacity) are weaker.

Sticking to AA size cells - I have tested the Sanyo 2500HR3Us and 2100HR3Us and they are robust enough to maintain a 1.5 amp drain without voltage brownout.
The diSadvantage with AA size is it can't be recharged as fast as the fatter cells, and needs to be done slower taking about 2 hours at home. For this reason I prefer a thicker cell.

The 2/3rds A size (like a slightly fatter AA but shorter length) KAN1100s, GP1300s are all much handier than AA for the float tuber.

That's because they are a technically superior shape, and therefore can be recharged in as little as 30-45 minutes (from flat to full) with a delta peak charger from automotive battery in the field.
That makes these cells particularly good for our use. Since the time it takes to have a cup of coffee and a sandwich can refill the battery completely.

The next size up again - short C type - GP2200s and KAN2200s, are excellent ... all the full C size GP3300s, GP3700s, Panasonic 3000s and Sanyos are good too.

All those 10 cell packs are 1/10th the weight to 1/3rd the weight of lead acid packs, and recharge ten times faster, but cost double to triple the cost of SLA cells.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
Thanks Norm,

Did you post pictures of your setup on here or did I see those pics somewhere else?

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Here is the thread:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=336704"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=336704[/url]
[signature]
Thanks Norm,

So the hobby shop is the place to look!
God Bless,
Don
[signature]