Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Habitat
This is the type of structure that has been approved by the Park Service and the UDWR. The structure is a cement base with wood slats attached to the cement with wire. This same style has been used by other states in reservoirs with fluctuating water levels with good results. This type of structure has a longevity of up to 10 years.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34039;]
[signature]
Where is the picture? By the sounds of it, it sounds like a nightmare for the bottom of boats and props when lake levels drop, but I guess I have to see it to believe it!!![laugh]
TS
[signature]
The picture is when it is folded out ready to drop in the water...

They are easy to carey in a boat like any bass boat could carey 20 to 30 at any time and set them up with ease..

When folded up they are about two feet tall and 6" square, and if you should snag one you can lift it up and unhook and drop it back in...
[signature]
You dont happen to have a picture of the bottom and how it was attached with the wire do you?
[signature]
No I don't have that picture but the base is concrete with the wire in it and going up in the wood....

so the wire is holding the wood and is the hinge to shape it when you are ready to place it on the bottom of the lake..(like shown in the picture)
[signature]
You say that it has a concrete base, but how heavy is it? You said if you snag it you can reel it up and un-hook then drop it back down. Now is that if you are using 90 lb test like you bass fisherman??? Just curious, because I only use 6 lb test!!! By the way it is much more fun "fighting" a fish on 6 lb test rather than "dragging" the fish in with 90 lb test (bass fisherman typical test line)[Tongue]!!! Not saying that I dont like to catch Bass, just saying I like to "fight" a fish rather than "over power" it!!![blush]
TS
[signature]
If you read my reports you would know that I use 6# as well on spinning rods and ten on bait cast I like the fight as well...

The weight of the habitat is about 4 to 6# on land...
[signature]
Just curious... Where can they be used? From your post, it sounds like any fisherman can make them and place them in lakes as they please? I'm in Colorado now and would be interested in making and placing some of these if this is the case. Do you have any info (personal knowledge, website links, etc) for this sort of thing in Colorado?
thanks!
[signature]
I don't know about your state and if you can put this in your lakes, we are still trying to get so we can put this in all of our lakes here...

We had to get the Feds. and state parks and the DWR to let us do this, and find the right type...
[signature]