Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube questions
Longtime listener, first time caller to the forum, I guess you could say. I am thinking of buying a Fish Cat 4 Deluxe, but there are a few questions I hope someone here can answer first.

I've been fishing from round tubes since the late 1970s, using them primarily for smaller lakes and strip pits. Never tried a U-tube before, though, and have almost never used swim fins. I've always just kind of walked forward in the water, fishing as I go, because I haven't had to travel great distances in the pits and lakes I fished.

That means I'm used to leaning forward to fish, which you can easily do in a round tube. But what happens in a U-tube? Are they easy to fall out of if you inadvertently lean forward? With swim fins, are you unable to move forward as you fish along a shoreline? Do you HAVE to propel yourself backwards?

Dumb questions, I know, but I'm curious about how much I'll have to change my fishing style.

Thanks in advance!
[signature]
..Ill answer from what I know as a newbie..

.. first..everyone here will tell you the same thing.. there are no dumb questions..

.. now.. on my first trip in a tube I was "concerned" about how much I could move before I fell out.. well once I got settled in all was good.. in the u tube its like it wraps around you and wants to hold you in tight.. once you get settled back into the seat its comfortable.... the only other times I was concerned was when I caught myself leaning a little to much to do something.. like try to adjust my fin.. not a good idea.. [Smile]

..I think you will find yourself leaning forward a bit until you relax into the seat.. once there you will find your comfort zone so to speak..

.. as for the fins.. as far as I know or have experienced you can only make turns and move backwards with fins.. you will just have to learn how to maneuver yourself a little differently to get yourself in the right postions....

now here is an idea that will make a fortune in the tubing industry.. someone needs to figure an easy, cost affective way to mount back up mirrors on a tube so you can see where you are going without straining your neck.. [sly]

..I know more experiecned tubers will answer when they come on next and will probably give you a little better insight from their experience..

.. have fun in the new tube and let us all know how it goes..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Can you "walk" forward through the water in a U-tube, fishing ahead of you as you go, and carry your fins along in storage for the ride back?
[signature]
I have not tried that so I cant really say.. but.. I do know it is impossible to walk forward with fins on (I fell a couple of times on my first tubing trip trying to walk out of the tube into the shoreline[crazy] ) .. and if you try to put them on while in the tube you may get into some trouble.. but.. again.. I am sure our more experienced tubers can answer this one for you better than I can..

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
I might be the only one on here that uses them but I like the paddle pushers from a company called fishmaster here in Ok. They strap to your shoe and propel you forward. I've been using them for ever. I used to be in a round tube and now I am in a pontoon. They are for small water and they move slower than fins. There is another thread on here about fins that has a link. They are not too much $ so if you don't like them you would not be out much.
[signature]
I have seen several discussions on the paddle pushers.. I think one of the biggest drawbacks when those are used in a u tube or the "v" tube is the water is pushed back into you and impedes movement more than helping it.. the way a toon is designe.. at least I would think.. would let the water flow past and be less impeding on forward progress.. but again.. I dont use them so would not know for sure..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
That sounds reasonable. I have never used a U or V tube so that could be a issue.
[signature]
..thank you.. it sounded good when I was typing it up... lol..

I am sure that soon fg, td, tn2, dr, and many other more experienced tubers will come on and give their insight on this topic.. hopefully I am at least close to being almost right on what I have said.. lol. .

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I really like my Fish Cat 4 Deluxe. If you are close to the weight limit, i would save up for the fat cat or super fat cat. It rides nice and high, and it is relatively easy to add thing on to it like rod holders. I have some pics of mine I can post id you'd like. Inflatable seat is definitely wroth the extra money. Storage could use more space, but thats the way it is for everything.
[signature]
... right now I am using a tube given to me by tn2.. it is a caddis model u tube.. I am however saving my pennies to get a new one.. not sure yet which one I will get but I know I can come here for great insight on which one I eventually settle on...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Hope we can help you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First, most of us tend to be more comfortable with that which we know best. If all you know is round boats and moving forward, there is a natural reluctance to change. Same with propulsion. But, until you really try something new, with an open mind, you will never know what you are missing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been tubing for over 50 years...in all kinds of water...using all kinds of tubes and propulsion. I know from first hand experience that there is no ONE SIZE FITS ALL. You should choose the type of tube that suits your style of fishing and then buy fins to fit your system and the waters you fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I cannot imagine tubing WITHOUT a good pair of divers fins. Even in small ponds, they help move you quickly from spot to spot and to maintain position if a breeze comes up. It DOES take a bit of practice and experience to have moving backwards, with the fins, become second nature. But, once you get the hang of it, it is automatic and you don't even think about it. You move backward to get into position and then turn and fish. No problem. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you feel that you have to lean forward to fish and can't relax and lean backward, you need to retrain yourself. You are definitely in the minority. It sounds like you are self taught and you have taught yourself the wrong way. Kinda like someone learning to play golf with a baseball bat. You can get the job done, but you will do much better and have more fun using a golf club and getting some proper instruction.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, there are no rules or laws that dictate how you use your tube...or what kind of tube you fish from. That is the beauty of our sport...at least one of the good points. It is very flexible. We can all do exactly what we want, how we want to, with whatever gear we choose.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the subject of those paddle pusher fins, all I can say is that for small waters with limited need for propulsion...forward propulsion...they might be your best option. But, if you ever want to fish larger waters, and need to move more than a few feet, you should also invest in a good set of fins. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9591;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a pic of the paddle pushers. They strap on over shoes and you propel yourself by kicking backward. The flaps are spring loaded and fold back on the forward stroke. They were designed for fishing shallow ponds where you might want to walk forward and then use the kickers when you steppeed into deeper water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The round tubes used by anglers wearing those fins, were fitted with shoulder straps. The angler wore the straps so that when they walked in shallow water, the tube stayed up around their waist and did not drop around their ankles to trip them. That would be more difficult with a U boat, but you could step out and rig a short tether rope around your waist to tow it behind you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the good advice. I'm ordering the FC4 Deluxe now and will shop for fins and other accessories after doing a little research here in the archives.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just in case you haven't found it yet, we also have a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=130;"]PICTURE BOARD[/url] with lots of good stuff to look at for ideas.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Believe me, I've been looking. Some of those platforms are amazing. It was looking at those pictures that got me fired up about tubing again.
[signature]
AS far as waders, if you can, go with breathables. How much do you want to spend? I have some Cabelas Dry-plus somethign er rather, and they are good. They have a lifetime warranty which is great. No questions asked
[signature]
I'm driving up to the Cabela's in KC on Sunday to shop for waders. Thanks for the tip.

Nothing like the thrill when a big bass spins you around and gives you a ride as it heads toward deep water. Or when you don't notice the beaver swimming past in the middle of a moonless night until it smacks its tail about three feet behind you!
[signature]