Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know this is the Utah forum but Gizzard Shad were discovered in Lake Mead
Its official Gizzard Shad were discovered in Lake Mead.

I just got back from the Arizona Fish and Game website and weekly fishing report, yes, those super duper fast reproducing sexy Gizzard Shad were discovered in Lake Mead.

Think it was the flush from Glen Canyon? Ha ha ha!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Once a species is introduced into any waterway, there is always the potential for them to turn up in lakes or streams both upstream and downstream. That is especially true of the gizzard shad. They are aggressive upstream swimmers and will easily survive a trip through a dam...either in egg, fry or adult form. Some mortality, of course, but it does not take many to start a new population.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is why DWR and the feds are so freaked about putting them in Yuba or any other Utah waters...especially in Utah Lake or anywhere in the Provo River drainage. Those nasty gizzard shad would likely constitute still another hazard for the survival of the June sucker. Now, if they would only eat carp...[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I guess that's why Willard was the "Perfect" place to experiment with them in Utah. No real way for them to get up stream unless they can fly and we'll, heading downstream, I think the brine shrimp have 'em beat! It will be interesting to see what the effects are to Mead in a couple of years.
[signature]
Wrong, they are up and down stream from willard already. I have seen them in a seasonal canal in tremonton and seen them upstream from willard in the canal. I have also seen them in a canal leading to BRBR. They find "ways" just like we do to accomplish the impossible.[cool]
[signature]
What harm will they cause if they go up stream from willard? Where will they go?
[signature]
Everything down is salt water more or less. They could, over a period of time, make their way to pineview. I don't think they could cause much harm in there though. I doubt they would even have a chance at reproducing with all the predators of large size. If they were planted it would be a different story. I am not saying bad or good where they currently are. It means nothing really.[cool]
[signature]
Man i bet those tigers and smallies would get huge eating those shad!
[signature]
No doubt.[cool]
[signature]
Hey Brody, have you ever seen them in the Weber below the confluence? And is there more than 1 inlet? I can only find that canal they use from right below Weber/Ogden confluence.
[signature]
The canal coming into the south marina.[Wink]
[signature]