Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new downriggers
OK fellow bfters I need to tap into your vast reservoir of downrigger knowledge. My son and I are looking to up grade our old cannon manual downriggers to new electric ones. (We have used these two old models for twenty years with no problems) What are everones favorites? I was looking at the big jon electrics and liked some of there features. If anyone is familiar with these or other brands please jump in and help an old troller out.
Oh, and I need to add my two cents worth about the ISE show. I had a great time looking at all the hunting and fishing trips being offered. I wish I had got the chance to catch the seminar Jared gave on fishing for the kokanne, but in all I had a good time. Thanks for your help, Zugbug
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Zugbug,[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I use Cannon Super Mini Mags from Cabelas on my 16 ft Tracker Targa. I don’t think they are available anymore. I’ve had them for about three years now and have had very good service from them. However, my next set will be Big Jons. They are better built and have better features than the Cannons. They also have a higher price, but then usually you get what you pay for.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Both will do the job, that’s for sure.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Shop for whatever you decide to get on line. There are some great deals out there and you can usually get them cheaper than locally buying them even with the shipping.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Good luck and great fishing.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
a freind turned me on to big jons last yr at fg. i sold my cannon electrics and picked up 2 captains packs. they are around 450 if i remmeber right. the extention booms are way sweet. never lean over the side of the boat. just lift it up and it puts the release in your face boom strai up hand free for hooking the line. check them out.
[signature]
[black][size 3]For what it's worth, I have had my Big Jon elec. downriggers for over 15 years, and although I don't use them often, they have been trouble free, and easy to operate for that period of time.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have fished with people who had other brands, and have never wanted to trade with them.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I own a walker electric down rigger and a big jon electric. The retrieval on the walker is better and more accurate, but I do like the boom on the big john a little better It just seems to be easier to handle. I don't have any cannon electric so I can't say on them, but I do like both of my down riggers a lot and both have their strong points,
Jed Burton
[signature]
If you're looking to upgrade from cannon manuals to an electric... the cannon mini mag will fit right on the same tab lock base as your manuals. Doesn't get much easier than that. As far as the super mini mag goes, I believe the only difference is boom length/material. The super has a 3 ft stainless boom, and the regular mini mag has a 2 ft copolymer boom (same material as your manuals, just a hair longer). If you really need the longer boom, they are available from cannon for like 30 bucks. The mini mags cost around $330. I used mini mags for a long time and never had a problem. They are a little slow compared to the costlier models, but they are strong and reliable.

Other than that, I don't think you'd go wrong with big jons. I've heard nothing but postives about them. Also, scotty has some entry level electrics that are affordable and good quality. Lots of good options out there.
[signature]