Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Jordan river from Bountiful
I live in Bountiful and would like to take a quick trip to the Jordan River. Is there a good place on the north end that I could try. Maybe somewhere near north Salt Lake or something like that.
[signature]
Wish I could help you on some first hand information about the Jordon river. If no one else replies to your post, try using the search function above and type in Jordon river on the Utah forum, then send a PM to one of the guys that have posted info about the river in the past. Good luck, I hope you find some willing fish.[Smile]WH2
[signature]
I am pretty sure that there are fish from that snaky part over behind the maverick on redwood where the wildlife area is, not any access though that I have found. The best part of the Jordan to fish is South and gets progressively less diverse and alot spookier as you head north.
[signature]
You can access the river by parking next to the Utah dept of Agriculture building and walking thru the park to the river. Once on the river trail you can walk north to 10th north. The Agriculture building is located at 350N Redwood Rd.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Once you get close to the heavily developed areas of Salt Lake you have fewer access points...and a greater potential for "unwanted encounters". There are lots of people who hang out around the river that you would not feel good about cultivating as close personal acquaintances...although they might "force the issue". Know what I mean?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The esthetics of the waterway take a drop too. Lots more trash and scum in the slower flowing waters. About the only fish species in the lower end of the river are carp and cats. You will do much better for some of the other species by driving a few more miles and fishing along the Jordan River park areas. More access, better views and fewer "problem children". There are always potential hazards so if you go, don't go alone. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
A few years ago, I was able to fish The Mighty Jordan River by heading west on Center Street in North Salt Lake. They used to have a place just south of the bridge where one could park and fish. They had a large garbage can there for one to use. I had a few great outings down there with the grandkids and they had fun reeling in the carp. Now the entire area north and south from Center Street is a bird refuge with No Trespassing signs posted. One can still fish between the Center Street road and the fence on the west side of The Jordan River on the north. This is an extremely small area and access to the edge of the river isn't the best. I also fished it a few times just south of I-15 by entering from Redwood Road. The road that used to run along the east side of the river is now closed, although there may be a small area that one can still access from Redwood Road. I have to admit I have always felt uneasy out there because of its remoteness. Once I ran into a guy that likely was up to no good on a remote section of a dirt road down in that area. It may be a little safer these days because there is more traffic on the road these days with Foxboro being added.
[signature]
where are these jordan river park areas
[signature]
Get the hand book on fishing the ponds in this state and you will see Bountiful pond it is on the jordan river or side stream of it...

And you can get a Map book like, (The Utah Atlas & Gazeteer) (Topo Maps of the entire state Public Lands & back roads )

This will show you the roads and streams...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not too many places north of 2100 south, but several nice parks and access to the paved bike/walking trails next to some of the street overcrossings south of there. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We live near 5400 south and there is good access and parking on both sides of the river. If you get out and walk the trails you can spot good potential fishing spots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_River_Parkway"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to a Wikipedia page that has links to maps and other info.[/#0000ff]
[signature]