Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One fly
My vest is so overload with flies but use most of them for different places but I like to know I have them.

This is a tough choice but if you could only take one fly pattern toa tournament than what fly would that be. I'd take my black leech pattern or a Hare's ear nymph.

What would everybody else take.
[signature]
Hands down, I would have to go with a weighted brown Hare's Ear nymph. Of course, it would be nice to have an assortment of sizes, but if it were just one individual fly I'd go with a size 14.
The best thing to come out of a fly is, zipper worms...

Bwhahahaha I had to let that one fly in the faces of fellow anglers.
[signature]
I'll answer this for my father and myself. My Dad would have renegades in various sizes (he fishes them wet and dry). I would go with a size 8 black wolley bugger or a 14 grey hare's ear.
[signature]
[cool]Is that the fly with silver teeth?

Anybody know about the "silver hilton"? It's an old steelhead pattern from the west coast, but it sure do beat up on Utah fishies. I have taken lotsa big rainbows, browns, cutts...and even bass and cats with it. It is especially good for big bluegills.

I often tie it as a dropper above a small jig, when casting for crappie or sunfish. It also works well as a dropper above a small Rapala or spinner. And, it is a fantastic after dark fly fished with a bubble full of water on Deer Creek.

I'm at work right now (goofing off again) and can't post a pic, but if anyone is interested in the pattern, I will post it later. It is a black chenille body, spiral wrapped with silver tinsel, barred fiber tail, twin grizzly hackle tippets for wings and a single grizzly hackle wrapped on the front. The wings are tied back in a "V" and swim when stripped. I tie it on 2X, 3X and 4X long shank hooks, size 10 through about 2. Size 8 or 6 are good all around sizes.
[signature]
That sounds like a pattern I've got to try. Any pics would be excellent!
Just found a link for the Silver Hilton for anyone interested. By the way, this web site is pretty good for patterns and tying instructions.

[url "http://www.westfly.com/patterns/steelhead/silverhilton.shtml"]http://www.westfly.com/patterns/steelhead/silverhilton.shtml[/url]
[signature]
I agree with the hares ear, I tie mine with extra dubbing and leave it hanging out all over. Can't beat the hare's ear beadhead!
[signature]
[cool]Hey Ruger, that's the beast. The traditional steelhead tie is on those heavy "up-eye" salmon hooks. I have always used plain wet fly or streamer hooks. I also modify the materials. I often use black sparkle chenille instead of ribbing the plain black chenille with silver tinsel. The sparkle shows up well underwater and seems to represent air bubbles or scales.

You will also notice that I tie a lot of mine more in a streamer style, with the wing feathers extending farther over the back of the fly. As with any pattern, you can try your own innovations. By the way, I have also developed a series of "fry flies" using this same principle. I do some with bright white bodies, and the grizzly hackle...with red tag tail. Some are silver with the same wings and tail. Others are gold body with golden pheasant tippet tail and badger hackle wings and front hackles. Easy to tie on size 4 and 6 hooks and a good assortment for browns on minnow laden streams.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=11969;]

These flies were not freshly tied, but were remnants from a "raided" fly box. I typically cock the hackle wings more at an angle, similar to the pic in the website. Fish like 'em almost any old way though.

Hare's ears? Heck, use the whole rabbit and go for something big.
[signature]
It would depend on the weather before the contest. If it had just raind or was rainy I would bring a brown san juan worm. If it was sunny and no rain I would bring a weighted beadhead phesant tail nymph. I just like the way it preforms around where I live.
[signature]
My go to fly if nothing is working is a fly called Mormon Girl. This a fly my dad brought me up fishing. He told me he fished it as a boy on strawberry river by their saw mill. I figured my dad has been fishing it for about 65 yrs. A person can fish it either wet or dry which he is a master of both. There is only one fly tying book I have ever seen it listed and they tie it as a streamer. We don't we bring the size down a scoash.
[signature]
Hands down a black tail streamer for me.
[signature]
If I want bigger fish , I would have to go with a black wooly bugger or a muddler , or .................................................................
[signature]