Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
provo river restoration project
Here is some important information on the Provo river restoration, and I have some questions about it also.

The river will be closed until further notice(I forgot the exact date but will get back with it)from the Heber valley railroad trussles upstream 1.1 miles for restoration. it is closed to all public access so watch where you enter and make sure that you are not in that area.

My question is how will this affect fishing, will it get better or will it get worse. and how long will these changes take place?

thanks in advance guys
[signature]
I guess it depends on who is answering your question. obvioulsy the groups in charge of the restoration feel it would improve the fishing i believe. where as some people who like thisn the way they are would feel it might change it for the worse. I do know from experience that fishing prior to a restoration and after I felt in the majority of the areas the fishing was better before. In this case of being a brown trout fishery it is hard to restore something to accomodate their habitat. When channeling the river and trying to improve habitat it seems what is left is a straight or run on the river with little to no vegetation on the banks or in the river. Since the provo has been of great attention of lately and in years past it has seen "improvements" in mass numbers. Yet the fish are smaller and smaller and more numerous. but then they are diseased. I recall fishing one day and counting 80% of the fish to have fungus on them. Sadly this was in the middle stretch and the year before i didnt see one with this. So the outcome is in my opinion yet to be seen. I feel it is great organizations are working on improving things unfortunately it is sometimes too hard to keep everyone satisfied.
[signature]
do you know how the fishing is just right below the jordenelle dam? because i guess they have restored the river there already. we will just have to wait and see what happens. thanks XMAN
[signature]
Just talked to one of my DWR officer friends, the fishing is supposedly great for flyfishers below the Jordanelle Dam right now.
[signature]
Does anyone know how high the river is and how the fishing is above Jordanelle, expecially through Francis and Woodland? THat is one of my favorites for fishing!!!
[signature]
I have not been to the stretch just below Jordanelle. They did some river work on that area. But if you are up above the river work the river looks quite good. Lots of big holes with plenty of cover. The worked stretch was straighten with slow bends to it. It looks out of the ordinary because all the vegetation is gone now. I would say the fishing should be fair just like all the rivers with browns right now. I think there are a few big fish left up there though and if you are targeting them youll probably want to use somethign a bit bigger than a nymph or mayfly or whatever they are using right now. Hope this helps.
[signature]
I think the project below the jordanell damn was a good Idea,it sounds good for the fish with al the habitat rehabilatation. We'll just have to see how the actual long term benifits will be.-TIBBZZ-
[signature]
Hey Xman,

The fungus on trout is usually from handling. When the slime coat is compromised fungus usually forms. It can be aggravated by low warm water. I suspect there is a lot of catch and release on the section with high fungus. Just my .02

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
i dont necessarily oppose the restoration. but the lack of vegetation and clearing of vegetation in the river im not so sure that will be of benefit for the browns. but like you said we will have to wait and see. it has been done for a few years now so we should see some caculatable results as fisherman soon enough. as for the scientific research i dont know about it but if its going on i sure would like to hear about it.
[signature]
Hey kayote

i did alot of research on the fungus though i dont remember the technical name for it i do remember the results of the fungus. unfortunately it is also caused by stress in other areas. i have been a big oppostion of keeping the provo river running so high and fast all year long. though it is more condusive to fly fishing the fish after they spawn need slow pools and hold over areas to rest and regain strength. Sadly they dont have much opportunity for that in most of the river. pre jordanelle days the provo didnt flow as it does and would run as a natural river with high water spring level out in summer and slow water in winter how it should be. also pre jordanelle days the fungus didnt exist as wide spread as it does today. in fact i dont remember seeing one fish like that before the dam was bulit and water flows controlled.
[signature]