Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crank Test
I finally broke down and bought a couple of those high dollar crankbaits from Lucky Craft. In that I am your basic tight wad, let me tell you it's hard to shell out for a $17 lure. This is not a giant lure like the Castaic or Osprey. Looks fairly normal, almost like those ones in the Walmart discount bin. They are supposed to have some special brass in them that makes them wiggle when suspended, however I could not see this mysterious action. I bought them in a color known as flashminnow (looks like rainbow trout to me). They sat in the box new for a few weeks as I was not brave enough to risk losing a $17 lure. I bought one shallow diver (Pointer) and one deep diver (Bevy Shad). After fishing a good part of the day Sunday with my usual arsenal with no luck, I broke out the shallow runner. Dang if the little sucker didn't start nailing the big mouths like they were going out of style. Nothing huge, but saved an otherwise listless day. Almost as if the fish had heard about them, and came to check them out too. Has anybody else tried these high dollar cranks?. How have they worked for you?. I'm not totally sold yet, but initial tests indicate the fish find it tasty.

Good Fishing, Kayote

[Image: l35853.jpg]

[Image: l35852.jpg]
[signature]
I have not been able to talk myself into going high dollar. I just cringe knowing I'll lose the lure within a few trips. I have tried a few Yo-Zuri lures at about $8-$12 and didn't see much difference in them and Rapala. Not as far as the fish would tell me anyway. Please continue to let us know how it goes. If there is a lure out there that is worth the money, I'd pay it.

Do we have some good looking LMBs out here or what? Just look at the coloring and general health of those fish.

By the by...were you on the flats, or in the mouth of the creek channel?
[signature]
I have used the bevy shad. It will kill you when you loose it. As for thier performance over other cranks, who knows? I just know this, they do catch fish. I know this too, if you are going to use them in starvation, use 20 lb fireline. Hee hee.
[signature]
[green][size 2]I lost three last year. All in combat though! I jerked the line to hard twice and had bad line once. I bought an estimate of 30 lucky's. Never paid more than $15[Wink]. I got some at the show for as low as $8. I have a few Sammys(topwater), 2 of most of the Pointer 78s(they kill at strawberry), a few 65 Pointers, a 90 Staysee, a few lipless cranks, and a couple of crankbaits.[/size][/green]

[#008000][size 2] Do you want to catch fish? They catch fish, period. How much cash do you spend on plastics that doesn't get used? I have a lot of crap that I don't use. But, a Pointer 78 is good in the spring and awesome in the fall. You can chuck and duck or you can troll it. Its awesome baby. The colors are the chub colors. This I testify to all.[/size][/#008000]
[signature]
The one time I took the boat out last year to Jordanelle and I hook a about a 28' yacht with a pointer78 and my spider wire didn't hold . In fact the yacht took all my line with it . Now I don't know if I will ever fish another with out a break down , LOL I still own 3 more maybe I could mount them on the wall . Heck you should see all my big musky lures I've collected and have been trying to hook something with or lose . He He !! Nice fish Kayote .tight lines
[signature]