Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bust at Bullfrog
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]We left Bountiful about Noon and headed for Bullfrog on Thursday. We stopped in Price for groceries and were spotted by TOPH2O (from Wayne's Word) in the Walmart parking lot. Got all the way to Wellington and got a call from my bride telling me my meds were still at home – bummer. Turned around and headed back to Walmart.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]It took them over an hour to verify my Rx and get it filled and then we were on our way – again. Got to the lodge about 7:40 PM. Just in time to catch a late supper at the lodge restaurant.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Got on the water about 8:30 the next morning. We needed some anchovies and nothing down there opens before 8:00 AM this time of year. We headed north with the first stop in Moki for some strippers. Chummed and fished for 3 hours with nary a bite. Moved up to Good Hope Bay area and tried for some LMB. Didn’t find any. Moved back down to Knowles Canyon and I finally hooked a small LMB – maybe a pound. That was it for the day. Headed back to the lodge and got there about 7:00 PM.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Saturday, we were again on the water at about 8:30 AM. We headed back up towards Good Hope Bay and fished the major side waters for LMB. Mike caught one small one in Hanson Creek in the AM. About 4 canyons later and back in Knowles Canyon, Mike caught a small stripper. We fished until about 2:00 and decide to head back home.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The water temps were about 49 degrees in the deep, clear water and were showing about 51/52 degrees in the shallow brown water. Air temps were in the 30’s first thing in the morning with warming into the 60s as the day wore on. If you REALLY want to know what cold is like, try doing 62 mph in an open bass boat with an air temp about 40. Can you say BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I did see the ‘Reel Fast’ boat in the parking lot Saturday morning, but not the owner. Didn’t see or hear form Bassrods either, but he was staying up the road at Ticaboo. Sorry I missed you guys; maybe next trip.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Well that’s the report on my first ever trip to Bullfrog. It can only get better after this. I think we were a week or two too early. I’ll try again in May or June.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

That sucks going all that way and the fishing is bad. I would have waited till at least mid april to may. I am going to try and go there in May because i know the fish will be very active and feeding heavily.Now you know what to expect the next time you also take your own chovies and they will hit chubs and red shiners too.It will save you on bait if you take your own.
[signature]
[size 1]
Quote:[size 1]Now you know what to expect the next time you also take your own chovies and they will hit chubs and red shiners too.It will save you on bait if you take your own.[/size]

Oh sure; NOW you tell me! [Wink][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Sorry to hear that you didn't find the fish, we moved to bullfrog and I looked for you...

Will post later with pictures of some of the hidden canyons we fished...(we got in to them OK the catching was good)
[signature]
Sorry thought you knew!! [Tongue] If you get a good chum going fishing is non stop for stripers and the kitties will be under them. Man i cant wait till the end of may.
[signature]
Bro we worked hard for the ones we caught. I some times felt like the catches were accidents. But we have been able to repeat our success. I guy in good hope bay had driven in in a to launch a little boat. He had a couple really nice LM in his live well. But he couldnt beg a striper. Like I said in my other post. A couple weeks of warm and sun and this place will rock.
[signature]
[red][size 3]We have taken the family to Powell the last couple years over Easter season and had poor fishing at Bullfrog as well. Wahweep was hot for us this time last year. We decided if we were going to hit Bullfrog again we would wait for a few weeks and some warmer water to stir things up. It's a blast being there nevertheless![/size][/red]
[signature]
Bob: It's always great to start out the season at Powell because the weather is just so much nicer than along the Wasatch Front. However, I've had exactly the same fishing experience as you as far as going to Bullfrog early in the year.

Matter of fact, I did that year after year after year. Then we changed and hit Wahweap early in the year (before May) and found the fishing to be excellent.

I know the trip is longer and gas is expensive, but you know, the time on the water is just so much more productive that we've found it well worth it.

Bullfrog will certainly turn on and be a great destination a little later, but first weekend in May we'll be at Wahweap.
[signature]