Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mill Meadow 03/21 Report
My son (9 yrs) and I decided to give Mill Meadow a try while down visiting the in-laws in Bicknell. On the upper end where the creek comes in from Johnson's there is about 200 yards of open water all the way across. We tossed my favorite casting spoons- Krocodiles - at the browns. We caught a bunch of decent browns and a couple 2 lb splake in about 2 and a half hours. The water is a little turbid so we chose the Krocodile Barred Perch pattern with gold on the back, they hammered the browns as long as we retrieved SLOW. We were casting out to the ice edge and pulling back as slow as we could force ourselves to reel. At least every other cast we'd pick up a fish as the lure came across the river channel. Quite a bunch of mallards hanging out at that hole also. Late in the day we had a pair circle, apparently not see us, then come in hard, lock their wings and start the landing wiggle straight at us and only 25 feet away. They were about 5 feet up when they saw us and took the hard right like they always do when landing on decoys and the shooting starts. Pretty cool, I wished it was November for a brief moment. Anyway, anyone who lives down that way (Fuzzy), it's worth the trip.
[signature]