Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3/24/08 Fish Lake report
Gave Fish Lake a try yesterday. Drove down with wiperslayer1 and my friend Chris. Met ice_sled in the parking lot and later gshorthair joined us on the ice. Catching was red hot in shallow for perch (if one likes to catch perch), splake and rainbows. We spent most of the day in deeper water trying for macks. Ira had the hot stick with three macks and I managed to land one mack pup. Got back to the Suburban only to find that my keys weren't in my pocket. I could only imagine how happy my wife would be having to drive well over 6 hours (round trip) to bring me another set of keys. On the long shot that I had put them between my pants and coveralls instead of in my pants pocket, I decided to walk to where I had drug the sled about 100 yards to hook it to the four wheeler. You can only imagine how happy I was to find the keys in the snow where we had tied on the sleds. Attached is a picture of Ira's 36 inch 24 pounds plus mack (largest thus far for Ira).
[signature]
Nice report. Beautiful day besides.
[signature]
It looks like it was an awsome day and good job on finding the keys, not to mention the eye candy that is a beautiful fish.
[signature]
Great job on the macks! Glad you found your keys and saved your wife the long drive.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice report Junior. It would not be an official outing for you if there was not a bit of drama (keys). I'm sure that you and Kathy are much more cordial to each other today than you would have been if she had to rescue you. I think most of us guys have had to make the "ANYTHING BUT THIS" call before.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Man, that's a nice Mack!

When I was scoutmaster, we hiked up about 2 miles of trail for the klondike derby. We had to do 2 runs, 1st run.. was the camp equipment. Second run was the boys clothes and sleeping bags.. all their warm gear. I Lost the keys somewhere in that 2 mile stretch on the 1st run. They fell out of my pocket into the snow. Car locked, with all their gear in it.
I actually found the keys after the sun had gone down. It took divine intervention.. there was no way I was finding them on my own.
Went to this spot on the trail and thought "Maybe they're here" Looked down, Nothing but packed snow. Kicked at it with my boot.. and it uncovered the keys (first kick)! In a 2 mile stretch, I found my little set of keys PACKED UNDER THE SNOW.
Anyway, that's my "Answered Prayer" story. Tubedude had a good idea a few months ago in a post where they were listing things to do to prevent ourselves from looking dumb with our wives. One of them was "Get a spare key and put it in a hide-a-key on the truck" I keep thinking.. "I gotta do that" With my luck.. it's going to come and bite me soon!
[signature]
nice fish! I hate losing my keys and/or my wallet, its a gut wrenching feeling to not know where they are.

I was muzzloading with a friend and his dad a few years ago and my friend snagged the speaker cord to his radio (they were like old police radios) on a tree branch after we had hiked our butts off all day and lost it.

The next day we hunted the same area and just out of chance I happened to go right along the same path he took the day before and found the cord.
Of all the miles of trees and places we could have gone, I happened to come across the same spot, and there was no trail or anything. It was pretty crazy.
Sometimes you get lucky!
[signature]
We were fishing in the southeast area in about 75 feet of water. Tipped large tubes (white glow and black) with sucker and chub. Active jigging worked the best.
[signature]
Nice Mack !

Sounds like another good trip. Wish I could fish during the week.
[signature]
I am doing a good job this winter of getting my angling guests into nice macks at Fish Lake -- now if only I could catch one for myself. Fishing during the week is nice, but having to use a vacation day (like we did) to do so is a sacrifice.
[signature]
I agree Kent, you are doing a great job getting your guests into good fish. Thanks again for putting me over the top of mine.
[signature]
Here is another picture of Ira's mack.
[signature]
Nice! Nice! Nice! Don't worry Kent I can not get one of the FL pigs to bite my line either or if they do something always goes wrong to give me the fisherman blues. Congrats on finding the keys [Smile]
[signature]