Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Blowout
[cool][black][size 1][size 2][blue]The title for this post should have been "THE WIND DON'T BLOW ON UTAH LAKE...IT SUCKS."

Once again Flycasting and I believed the weatherman and once again we regretted it. Forecast was for light southerly breezes in the early hours, getting stronger later. That is doable at Lincoln Beach. We launch the tubes, head south and if the wind comes up we get blown back to the vehicle. Right? NOT.

When we drove out on the south dike, Catfishgitter was already there, soaking bait from shore. Said he had one bite before we got there. Us tubers got launched as soon as we could, thinking the pretty sunrise and the calm water were a promise of good fishing. NOT.

Flycasting launched before I did. Barked over the radio that he had a bite...even before I got in the water. Sokay by me if the other guy scores first. But, when I launched about 8 AM, he had not put a hook into anything yet.

I started by dragging a minnow and throwing plastics with my second rod. Wasn't seeing any fish in the water column, so I went to two bait rods. Rigged the second rod with a small chunk of delicious carp meat. Dragged it only a few feet when ZING went my string and my rod went bendo. 8:15 and I had a feisty 24 inch mama cat in my net. This was gonna be a good day. NOT.

As I finished unhooking the first (and only) kitty, a bit of a north breeze rippled the water. Tyler and I chatted on the walkie talkies about that and laughed. Southerly breezes. Sure. Right. Well, that must have aggravated Mama Nature. She got more serious about those northerly breezes. From then on we were "bounce city".

I have fished Lincoln Beach a bajillion times. Whenever the north wind blows, the fishing sucks. I can count the hands of one finger (whatever) the number of times I have caught any more fish after a north wind comes up. Today only added credibility to my findings.

Actually, the north breeze started to fade a bit at one point, and I had hope that it would die off and then turn around from the south. Hokay...I started kicking further to the southeast, to fish a couple of favorite spots...knowing that I would not be in trouble since the wind was going to change. NOT.

During the temporary lull, I kicked another few hundred yards...IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. Then, once Mama Nature was satisfied that she had me well hooked, she reeled me in. The north wind did not die down, but suddenly jumped up and really started puffing. I knew I had been had and started powering my way back to the parking area.

It was tough. I brought in the bait rods, since I was unable to fish them right. Instead, I kept throwing and retrieving some large plastics. All the time I was maintaining a strong kick to get me back and out of the wind. Tough duty for a fat old man. I am "well seasoned" and have strong tubers' legs, but that was a workout.

I did get a hook into a nice little walleye. He hit at the end of a long cast and I brought it to within about 10 feet of the tube. Then, once I had seen it, I artfully completed a "conservation release". The fish was a healthy looking male about 20 inches or so. But, who wants a steenking walleye? Right?

Flycasting and I finally made it to our beach spot and got out. We made a few shore casts while waiting to see if the wind would die down. It didn't so we left. Catfishgitter had a couple of nice cats on his stringer and he was tucked in out of the wind. I hope he got more after we left.

I could swear that I saw the lake turn to glass in my rear view mirror as we drove away. I know that there were no visible signs of wind anywhere as we drove home. All the flags hung straight down and none of the trees were moving. And, it was absolutely beautiful when we drove back into Salt Lake.

Only saw one boat going out, just as we were getting ready ourselves. Water was a good color of green, with good visibility. Water temps were between 46 and 47 degrees.
[/blue][/size]
[/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34496;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] THE PROMISE - THE LIE.jpg [/#333366][/url](120 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34497;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] TYLER LAUNCHED FIRST.jpg [/#333366][/url](185 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34498;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] TITANIC PASSING ICEBERG.jpg [/#333366][/url](186 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34499;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] AINT SUMMER YET.jpg [/#333366][/url](179 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34500;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] SKUNK RELIEF.jpg [/#333366][/url](179 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34501;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] SOUTH WIND FROM THE NORTH.jpg [/#333366][/url](169 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34502;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] FLYCASTING SHORE CASTING.jpg [/#333366][/url](231 KB) [/size][/black] [black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black] [black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34503;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] CATFISHGITTER GITS CATFISH.jpg [/#333366][/url](335 KB) [/size][/black]
[signature]
PAT ON THE BACK...PAT[crazy] At least you are out there going for it.
By the way.....those waders make Flycaster's BUTT look BIG[laugh]
Nice looking cats.
You got any plans for this weekend?[fishon]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks, ma'am.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, waders make everybody's butt look big...except yours, you skinny li'l thang.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even just a layer of spray paint would make my posterior resemble the north end of a southbound elephant.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LMAO[laugh]
[signature]
Pat, that first picture of the sunset is amazing! Any way I could get a copy of the full size image?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry, that is a sunrise...and I already dumped the large files.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wanna meet up and shoot another one. They have a new one every morning. Here are a couple of larger file pics taken in the same area...on past trips.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yep, meant to say sunrise, but sometimes what I am thinking and what my fingers type are 2 different things.

Yes, we need to meet up. PM me and maybe I can find a time to sneak away. Things at home and work are busier than ever; but for my own mental health, I need to get out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Might be a "window" in the weather on Friday. Let's watch it together.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Otherwise, it should be decent after the weekend next week.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Replying to: Re: [TubeDude] Utah Lake Blowout by swedishfish
Yes, we need to meet up. PM me and maybe I can find a time to sneak away. Things at home and work are busier than ever; but for my own mental health, I need to get out. [/b][/u]

Don't you mean AM him LOL he, he, he!
[signature]
I feel your pain. Here in Ok. we know way too much about the wind. I tried to go out last friday. The weatherman said 10-15 mph from the south and then swiching to the north and slowing down. They had the first part right but when the north wind came it was 25-30 mph.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yep. Wind is the single biggest detriment to floatation fishermen. I can handle almost anything weatherwise...from the 120 temps in Arizona to ice in the guides here in Utah. But, when it starts to get "airy" I go home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a kind of a joke whenever someone asks "what is the weather forecast?"...for an anticipated trip. My answer is "Fair and sunny with occasional heavy snowstorms." I am right more often than the weather guy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
almost anyone with any amount of outdoor experience is more accurate than most local weathermen.. [sly]... it always amazes me that these weather checkers have all of this fancy arse equipment and training and then predict what all their computers say is gonna happen.. and then you got the local guy sitting in his chair out on the front porch who will say.. welll.. my left knee is aching real bad.. so we gonna get some heavy snow tonite.. and guess who is always right???? [sly]

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Let's be fair. Weather forecasters today have it a lot better than they did a few years ago. When you can look at a satellite generated map of moving cloud patterns, and coordinate that with weather stations recording wind speeds and temperatures all over the world, you have a better shot at an "educated guess".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unfortunately, no matter how good a meteorologist (weather guy) is, they are still just guessing. They use a combination of what they see with what past experience has taught them and then they make their predictions. The Sad thing is that 10 different weather geeks can see the same thing and each will come up with a different forecrash.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Still, in the not so far away olden days, we could only go by what they told us on the radio. If they said it was raining, it usually was...somewhere. But, they could not tell you more than a few hours away what to expect. Now we can get fairly accurate predictions (sometimes) several days in advance. However, we cannot account for unforeseen shifts in the jet stream or some of the other wierd anomalies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I use forecasts for planning several days out, but I always make last minute checks on multiple sources just to TRY to be sure I am planning right. AND THAT IS WHAT TORQUES ME OFF. When I get a forecast of light southerly breezes from at least three different weather sources, I want light southerly breezes. When a raging "noreaster" comes blowing in, I get MILDLY unamused.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I just trust my joints and my old breaks....they tell me what the weather is going to be.[laugh]
But Poky-mon has the right idea, with enough beer, it all looks good!
[signature]
only "MILDLY"...?? [sly]..

MacFly
[signature]
... gotta agree with you there sis.. [Wink]

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
"just like my wife watching butts".......
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34497;"][Image: image.gif][#333366][size 1] TYLER LAUNCHED FIRST.jpg [/size][/#333366][/url][size 1](185 KB) He has his rod sticking striaght up! What's the trick? I had mine striaght while not sitting in it but when I do it hits my head.... I will have to redo the settings...[/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]His tube is a FishCat 4, with a rigid foam seat. When he sits down it does not rotate the rods inward as much as you do when you sit in your round tube with the "sling" seat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You always have to adjust the fit so that the rods ride upright AFTER you are sitting...not before.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I got the Fat Cat, the green one with form seats last year and built the rod holders. Maybe he weight lighter than me?
I did tie the tops to the D rings on top and had the bottom hooked to the D rings on the bottom the ones for the backstraps. Like u said have to make adjustments while on the water....I just would like a tight fitting instead of leaning freely to one side away from you.
I still have alot of time before I can go tubing, I was thinking of sewing on a little more D rings just below to tie the bottom of the rod holder onto the side. My bathtub isn't big enough to test the rod holders to find the spot to sew.
Are yours tight to the craft?
[signature]