Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I wasting my time?
[cool][#0000ff]At the first of 2008, I invested a HUGE amount of time and brainpower setting up the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?category=75;"]ARCHIVES AND REFERENCE[/url] boards on Utah BFT. Each week I spend many more hours going through every post and putting links into whatever archive topics they belong in. It is seldom more than a couple of days behind.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am about ready to just bag it. When I check the "views" on many of these archives...from one entry to another...I do not see evidence that anybody but me is even looking at them. And, every day we get posts on the board with members asking questions that would have been easily and completely answered if they had just clicked on one of the archive buttons.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a bunch of new info and links that I could add to many of the lakes, rivers, species, etc. But, I would rather be fishing than ruining my eyes adding a lot of stuff that nobody else is ever going to use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't feel like you have to "blow smoke", just to keep a grouchy old mod chilled, but I would like to know. Is anybody using this stuff at all?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nope, never
[signature]
I do not use the archive/reference boards. If I want to find out the answer to something that I think may have been posted before I use the "Search" and try that with a few key words.
[signature]
I noticed the archives and visited a time or two. Saw that my reports on Scofield were appearing over there. I keep a log of my fishing trips and I thought this was a real nice way to check back electronically on a water to see what has been happening. I really liked it, and it was very up to date. Information was even 'mined' from within posts with other topics. Great job, thanks for your work.

That being said, I don't believe many will use it. It has great potential that probably won't be realized... Most will hit the search function and gather what they can from previous posts.

just my opinion,
Chester
[signature]
Eyes are overrated anyways.....Silly Pat. I personally haven't visited the board, but then again, I have no time to do much of anything any more[Sad]
[signature]
just a thought, and no more then that. Trout_Slayer and i are related. he lives in UT and im in germany. we have both fished all over UT for years and years. i noticed your section on lakes, streams, etc. how about instead of you adding stuff in that section and taking more of your time, you allow regualr users to add tid bits of info, what works, where is some good parking, good eats, overall experiance of these said streams, lakes, etc? again just a thought. i know for a fact he can add alot of info about lakes around there, as many of the regular userson this great site. me personally.... i like exploring stuff. going to streams and creeks that i find on a map and just fishing them. again, its just an idea that frees up some of your time, and allows more info to be dissolved to certain bodies of water.
[signature]
A lot of folks won't bother to look through the first page of posts to see if there is already a post about the topic of their interest. Some guys will ask about conditions somewhere, and the fifth or sixth post down the line is a report from the day before, at the water they're interested in. Rather than look, they'll ask. Same thing with proclamation questions.

If it's not being used, why spend the time on it? Maybe there's some interest, maybe there ain't. Maybe the best way to go about it is to delegate some of the work to others.
[signature]
"
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Because of your posts on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=96;"]UTAH FISHING HOLES[/url] board, I can see that you have found it. That is the place to share your own experience, thoughts and tactics on individual spots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The archives and reference is designed to be strictly an organized archive and reference section...not a place for everybody to post. Otherwise it quickly becomes just another forum. That is not the purpose.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want to make sure that something you share is archived for eternity, put up a post on the general forum, labeling it by water or technique. It will then be linked on as many different topic sections as are appropriate.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, based upon initial response, it looks like a waste of time. Everybody already has their own system. That's cool. I can use some extra time in my week.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, get your sorry self back to Utah and make some local reports.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"
[signature]
i land in CO in mid april for some good 'ole fishing back home in CO, a week and a half later Trout_Slayer is picking me up in SLC and then i will commence kicking his butt and will be teaching him how to fish (i cant wait until he wakes up and starts talking the smack now)!! your doing a great job man keep up the hard work. as much as it pains me to say this i ask Trout_Slayer or just call the old man for reports on certain places in CO because there are not as many active users in that forum, which is a shame... now go fish and quit posting!
[signature]
Just go fishin' man![Wink]
[signature]
I typically use the search feature. I did pop over a take a look at your work... very nice. I can see myself using it in the future, if you continue.
[signature]
I have tried to check it out about a dozen times but I gave up because everything I wanted to check out was "under construction" so I just gave up. It really is a great thing your doing but if it's that much work why not just scrap it..[unsure] I think everyone will understand, after all it's not like your getting paid.[unimpressed]

FF462
[signature]
Maintaining the boards and such is called 'WORK.' Knock it off and get your sorry butt out on the water. Retirement is supposed to be about fun stuff, not work stuff. Do I need to repeat that?

Fish on![Image: fish-on.gif][:)][:)][:)]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the honest input. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After reviewing both the forum replies and some PM's on the issue, here is my current thinking:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. There is no need to give up on the Archiving altogether. Many aspects of it have long term value...for regulars as well as newbies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. There is no need to "capture" every post for posterity. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will continue to add to the archives...including some more website links, articles, pictures, etc. I will link only posts that I perceive to have "legs"...long term interest and value. These will be posts with good information on tactics, techniques, baits, lures, etc...and especially posts with good supportive pics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will not link posts that are simple two sentence reports with very little info. "I WENT FISHING TODAY AND CAUGHT TWO FISH. SORRY, NO PICS." I will also NOT include posts that are merely asking for info...such as the 13th request in one week for ice conditions on Decker Lake. (joke).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Although these archives are not open for general posting, you can submit links to websites or other info that you have found and deem worthy of adding to the database for any particular subject. Send it in a PM or share it in a post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We also remain open at all times for suggestions or ideas on how to make the board a better place to hang out. Sometime in April BFT will roll out a brand new extravaganza website, with a lot of new bells and whistles...and solutions to many of the gripes and complaints we have had. I don't know all the particulars yet, but I have been assured that we will all like it. But, then again, that's what they tell new recruits to the armed forces.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In conclusion, there is no requirement that anybody learns all of the options and "clicks" on BFT. It is like a buffet dinner. Take what you want and leave the rest. You or your membership will not be judged based upon how active you are or how many boards you play on. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Have fun.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I think it probably would be utilized more if more of us would have taken the time to find out exactly what those sections were and what they were for.

The one drawback that keeps people asking the same questions instead of researching is that people always want to know the 'latest and greatest' so they come to the main board to see if there is some magic new info for them. (Even though a good old fashioned worm will still catch just about as many fish as about any lure you can produce.)

Older reports on how to fish the Berry, for example, may not be as useful at times due to water level, temp, etc.

However, I'm sure there is a ton of useful info there that people could really learn a lot from if they would just take the time to dig through it. Therein lies the other problem. Some of us are a bit of a lazy lot and tend to not dig for the info when we know we can get a quick answer by simply posting a question. (No offense intended, I've done it more than once myself.)
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Do not misunderstand. The archives were not intended to replace or do away with members asking questions. Nobody is going to get banned for asking for more current info than they can find in previous posts. That is what we are all about...caring and sharing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All I am trying to do is encourage more members to take advantage of the one-stop-shop info source on many of the waters. When someone comes on the board and asks for basic info on a lake, or what the campground situation is, that tells me they have not checked the info in the archives. I have DWR info, maps, etc. on many of the waters...and if it is a State Park, there is a link to the website with all of the info they need. There is also a link to a weather site that will give them the current weather and forecasts for the times they wish to go. Over time, there will be a "fishing log" of sorts where members can check back to see what was working at the same time in previous years....and to see when the ice came and went each year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not there yet, but working toward that end.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I use them frequently and am glad they are there...kudos from me for the time and effort

cc

nobites
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]Do not misunderstand. The archives were not intended to replace or do away with members asking questions. Nobody is going to get banned for asking for more current info than they can find in previous posts. That is what we are all about...caring and sharing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All I am trying to do is encourage more members to take advantage of the one-stop-shop info source on many of the waters. When someone comes on the board and asks for basic info on a lake, or what the campground situation is, that tells me they have not checked the info in the archives. I have DWR info, maps, etc. on many of the waters...and if it is a State Park, there is a link to the website with all of the info they need. There is also a link to a weather site that will give them the current weather and forecasts for the times they wish to go. Over time, there will be a "fishing log" of sorts where members can check back to see what was working at the same time in previous years....and to see when the ice came and went each year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not there yet, but working toward that end.[/#0000ff] [/reply]

Sounds like a great source of info. We all just need to be a bit more proactive in redirecting newer people there (without making them feel like we are giving them the 'brushoff').
[signature]