Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any pointers on fishing Yuba
Going to try Yuba this weekend, don't care what the weatherman says. Any pointers as to best areas to try? Thanks
Are you shore fishing or boating?What are you targeting? The eyes are going to be hard to come by this time of year but i caught my biggest around this time.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You should be able to find at least a few trout left. They will be right on the banks, spawning wherever there is gravel. Last year they were all along the dam too. But, some of the easiest and best fishing is just walking the shoreline by Painted Rocks, casting spinners, Jakes or small crank baits.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, last year, I found a bunch of nice perch in only 15 feet of water near the dam. Couldn't keep them then, but caught a grundle for sport.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since the walleye are just getting ready to spawn, they will not be as easy to catch as they will later...after spawning. But, the northern pike will be going shallow too, and they hit well during their spawn. You have to find shallow weedy bays for them. Some of the big ones will be laying just offshore where the trout are spawning, but they are liable to be well fed (on trout) and may not be hungry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are going to get the kids some fish, launch at the main ramp and go across the lake to where the cliffs come down into the water. Try trolling or casting shallow there for trout or whatever. If nothing wants to play, then tune up the sonar and start looking for perch on the bottom. Again, they can be anywhere from just a few feet to over 50 feet deep. Vertical jig with some of those heavy little jigging spoons and either a piece of crawler or perch meat. Chubs work good too. Remember, until April 1 you have to keep the first 10 perch you catch, no matter how shallow they are. No culling a limit.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
depends on if yr in a boat or float. sandy beach is my go to first then the island. for pike the west bank strait across from sandy.
[signature]
If you are going to be fishing with a boat for walleye at Yuba rig up a Live Bait rig with 1.5-3 ounce botom walker. Try areas like Painted Rocks, Walleye Point, The Bluffs, Norht Beach, and Walley Bay by the Narrows. You could probably catch them as deep as 30 and 50 feet this time of year, but most likely will be shallower, depending on the water. If you are a shore fisherman o fisherwoman cast out jigs and crankbaits as far as you can. Cas to you left, center, right, alternating and changing positions to find fish. As far as trout go, you know what they do in spring. They will be in 5-30 feet of water mostly along the shoreline feeding and some spawning. They should be a piece of cake to catch with worms/minnows and jigs, even from shore. Sometimes I like to hook up a crayfish colored 3-4 inch tube jig under a bobber about 3-5 feet. Then I slowly jitter and reel it in. Bows love this method, and gulp up the jigs real fast. Good Luck to you. Happy Fishin'[Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
One more thing, if you want much more info on Yuba walleye or walleye fishing, go to rockymountainanglers.com. These guys are pros, and have some real expert advice.[Smile]
[signature]
Last year around april i was having 30 plus trout days by the dam with the occasional pike.Some of the bows had gashes on their side and no they were not anchor worms. Looked as if the pike were trying to eat the bows.They were averaging about 14-18 inches some had meat on them some were skinny.They would hit any lure that came across their face. I am heading down this weekend myself but not sure if i want to take the boat out yet.When do you plan on going?
[signature]
Thanks for all of the advise. When someone talks about certain areas, I am not familar with the landmarks or decriptions, I just know that it is past time for the boat. I'm going Saturday morning come hell or high water, or should I say wind or snow. I just can't handle looking at the boat sitting in the shop. I think who ever is going might have to bundle up, but that is part of fishing, no sense being a fair weather fisherman all of the time. Thanks again for all of the advise and hope to meet on the water or even close to it. Thanks
Great attitude!!! If there is a lot of wind you can use it to your advantage just drift fish as if you were bottom bouncing but just use jigs . Thats one way i have caught walleyes they are usually active with the wind.But it is usually in the summer when i catch them too but you never know. Good luck out there and catch a bunch![Wink]
[signature]
Ol'moose - I'm about 90% sure I will hit it tomorrow - 19ft crestliner - Holler if ya see me -I can't stand it either and wish the weather had held.
[signature]