Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Fork,Texas report
The water is high and rising with recent rains, water is stained on the main body of the lake but a couple clear days have the creek channels back to the brown tea color? Fishing was tough at first, the "usual" mossbeds were under water then covered by hydrilla. Some great places for bass to hide but tough to get a lure into. Most fish were caught near the weedline with plastics, Chatterbaits in wh/chart. and blue/black were the ticket for open water in the creek channels. Black/blue jigs with a blue trailer around the stumps produced some of the biggest fish. (10 lbs+)
My buddy introduced me to a new plastic called a Biffle-O [url "http://www.genelarew.com/Tubes/2008_Biffle-O_colors.jpg"]http://www.genelarew.com/Tubes/2008_Biffle-O_colors.jpg[/url]
What a great plastic. I don't think those bass have ever seen anything like it, that I know of. Awesome movement underwater.
Dark colors of those and senkos are working great, the slow retrieve was killin' me but it produced fish.
The wind blew for three days straight making it pretty rough and any protected water was sure to have atleast 4-5 boats on it. All in all it was a great trip. Caught fish everyday, even a 51" gar that took one of my favorite swimbaits and turned it into a weighted hook when I got it in, I thought I had a sharelunker when it hit! You should have seen me trying to get the hook out, I wish I had it on camera. Crappie are hiding out in Birch Creek for the most part, although they are spread out in the lake BC had the greatest numbers. The channels were feeding on live shad and minnows in 15' of water. Being from Utah I love using live bait for crappie and cats, I don't get to do it too often. No yellow cats this year but we did have a 12" shad on a jug line that was drug way off and then wrapped in some stumps.....the one that got away? Who knows.
Here are some pics.
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 011 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 014 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 017 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 019 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 021 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 022 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 024 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 025 - 400.jpg"]

[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 027 - 400.jpg"]
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 005 - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Nice report and some nice Bucketmouths too.

It looks like you had a good time in TX.[cool]
[signature]
Very nice. Looks like the trip was a big success. Getting a gar on a tube would have made me nervous. [shocked]
[signature]