Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening Potatoes in Utah
wiperhunter2 put a post in the for sale board about manure.. out of the wood work came some gardeners.

Last year, I put red potatoes in my garden for the first time. I actually grew some (the taste was amazing!), but w/ 4 plants.. I was hoping for more than 2! some were small, one was big.. but I harvested it late.

I've read a fair amount of growing them.. but it proved to be a little trickier than my small mind could handle.

So.. I have read of plants producing 10-20# per plant.. This, is what I would like to see happen in my garden!

Any tips for me?[unsure]
[signature]
I'm not sure how you planted your potatoes but here is how I plant mine. First I cut the eyes out of a potatoes leaving plenty of meat around the eye. Then I put the eyes in a bowl and let them soak for a few days and up to a week depending on how much time I have before I want to plant. I plant them with the eyes toward the surface of the ground and no more than a few inches deep. I plant each eye 8 to 10 inches apart depending on how many I plant. I don't usually dig up the plants until the tops start to die off and that is usually late in the season, Sept time frame. It depends on the plant, 10 to 15 potatoes are not unusual but most are not big. What kind of soil is your garden? My garden is sandy soil and that might help but I'm not sure how much it matters.
[signature]