Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you throwing ??
As the water is 45 degrees now for me. I've been trying out jigs as they seem to work for my partner. Usually I throw a crawdad or jerkbait. What is your go to baits in springs cold water?
[signature]
I have a new one that I'm using called the "Invader". It is a giant, weighted salamander that can "walk" right up to a spawn and get eaten up to get it off the nest.[cool]
[signature]
Maniac salt sticks for now. Once the water gets warmer here(still ice on my bass lakes[pirate])I will start throwing topwater and tubes also.
[signature]
I don't mean to take away from the salt sticks, they are great but if you like throwing stickbaits you should check out Lake Fork Tackle "zig zags" they have the weight and sink rate of the typical senko but have rings on the body. Check 'em out.
[url "http://www.lftlures.com/"]http://www.lftlures.com/[/url]

I don't sponser them or anything but when I find good quality baits I don't mind spreading the word.
[signature]
Small Swim baits, Jigs and Rockraws.
There is a pic of the Rockraw off of my website.[url "http://www.basslurereviews.com/"] [/url]

[Image: rkraw-bbqsauce.jpg]
[signature]
Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and jigs.
[signature]
Gotta tell ya, Maniacs salt sticks was the only thing that brought bass to the boat last week. Good stuff.
[signature]
spring time bass around here cant get enough spinner baits. bright white in clear shallow water, and darker colors for the deeper stuff. also gets the occasional pike as a bonus.
[signature]
I have been throwing fork river live minow in place of the zoom fluke this year and have done very well with it. Also tried throwing a chug bug and surprisingly got a few fish including a 3lb smallie. It was caught around 8pm.
[signature]
Not familiar with a chug bug. Is that a top water bait?
[signature]
Yes the chug bug is a topwater bait. I can't believe anything hit it this early in the yr. I attached a pic of the bait.
[signature]
The Chug Bug is a rattling popper made by Storm. You can look them up on the Storm website. They come in all the standard colors.[cool]
[signature]
[url "http://www.stormlures.com/products/luresdetail.cfm?modelName=rattlin_chug_bug&freshorsalt=Fresh&type=hard_lures"][Image: rattlin_chug_bug_342.jpg][/url] It sure is different looking.Whats the water temp. down your way now?
[signature]
I will have to check on the water temps. A website said the temp was in the low 60's on the river but that was taken about 60-70 miles south of me. Normally I won't throw anything on top until the water hit the 70's but the fish were breaking the surface, so I gave it a shot and it paid off.
[signature]
We had water at 67 last weekend, but with this front comeing through all week, it will drop alot. Can't wait for the topwater bite. [cool]
[signature]
Do you fish the saltwater?
[signature]
Yes tailgrabber I do, when the bite is on. Stripers in a few weeks. Fluke if they come back as well as bluefish. But most days you'll find me chaseing lgmouth and smallies.
[signature]
Dropshot 3" perch pattern plastics in 35-45' up north and Texas-rigged Hula Grubs down south in 15-25'. A matter of four hours and all the difference in the world. Today we got snow in No. Utah. I was bass fishing last weekend, today I was shivering. Headed down to So. Utah again soon for the big spawn. I can't wait!!!
[signature]
This spring I have been doing really well on a terminator double willow leaf spinnerbait with a chartruese/white skirt. Kind of surprising because they've never really hit a spinnerbait this good before.

I've also had success with a berkley bluegill color rattletrap.

[Smile]
[signature]
I always have a variety of lures in the boat, Spinner Baits, a few crank baits, top water, and yes soft plastics.
I throw Cut'r Bugs on a split shot or Texas rig, salt sticks wacky rigged and split shot rigged for smallies when they want that presentation. Maniac minnows and Grubs on a dart head. 4" paddle tail on a drop shot rig. Also tubes that I custom build for my own style.
James
[signature]